Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectWe basically agree
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=47787&mesg_id=47860
47860, We basically agree
Posted by SoulHonky, Thu Apr-13-06 02:20 PM
If this was the NBA draft, I'd be Steven A. saying that she's overrated and you'd be Hubie Brown saying she is good at what she does and has upside potential.

"Her saying such terribly racist things straight faced like the “black girl/pretty” joke above in hopes of getting a laugh may not be “funny” but perhaps its not meant to be? We don’t only laugh at funny stuff. I’ve been in movie theaters when the most horrific violence suddenly and unexpectedly flashes on the big screen and it’s greeted with guffaws and loud laughter. So maybe it’s the shock humor shtick taken to brutally shocking lengths and she’s just figuring “laughter is laughter is laughter…”. I admit it’s a stretch…"

I think that's a lot of what it is. Shocking can be funny. Part of South Park's initial appeal was seeing little kid's laugh. People have been more interested in Bob Saget's stand-up now because it is blue and it is shocking to hear him talk like that (even though he was always like that, even before Full House). It's my opinion though that the difference is that shock is most of Silverman's appeal. It's too much. Some people ascribe "irony" to it when really most of it's only shocking.