Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectOh no, this is the internet. "We" judge here.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=47787&mesg_id=47857
47857, Oh no, this is the internet. "We" judge here.
Posted by celery77, Thu Apr-13-06 02:08 PM
>Assuming there is no greater motivation, I think those are
>unjustified comparisons like I said above. But if I am to take
>your POV, I would agree with you that she's falling well shy
>of making any substantial or important "point". And those
>comparisons to the people who have come before, while
>technically MORE accurate, would become even MORE
>inappropriate and incorrect.

Okay. I think we both agree on what her stand-up / career / talent ultimately is, we just have different ideas about what her responsibilities are with regards to that.

>For me, not really.

^^^ hates white hipsters ^^^

(Although, really, who doesn't. Shit, the only people hipsters hate more than each other is themselves. I can't pretend like I know too much about this "black self-hate" thing I've heard about, but I feel more than comfortable commenting on white hipster self-hate, and it's a deep, nuanced, nasty, ugly, beastly thing. It goes deep, man.)

>Forgive the brevity above. I'm not trying to come across as
>flippant or in any way discredit what you find of consequence,
>but I'm not really too concerned with holding an opinion on
>anything aside from the material and/or the gal herself. I
>didn't read your comment above but I'll go back and read it
>because you make yourself clear when you write.

Oh yeah, no problem, no offense taken. Don't worry, cuz we both know you can't get past ten or so posts on OKP without building up pretty thick skin. So yeah, it's just a matter of what we're concerned with, the work or the response, and the response isn't so important to you. That's cool. And thanks for the compliment.

>But you know what?? I think if he really honestly wanted to
>fully escape the "Diceman" persona he could've. So maybe I'm
>wrong in thinking that he tried to lose it and wasn't allowed
>to.

When his audience noticeably changed from people who "got" it, to large groups of lonely, angry single men, I think he could have quit or come clean, but he chose to cash in instead. Cashing in isn't always bad, but when you're doing it at the expense of so many people like ADC was, it's disappointing.

>I'll say it here: I like Sarah Silverman. I have always had an
>affinity for her. She's nice to the eyes and can act. She has
>made me belly laugh with some of her material. I have yet to
>see "Jesus Is Magic" so perhaps I'll hate her with a passion
>very soon yet, but as of now I ride for her.

I like some of her stuff, the female oriented stuff in particular, because I really feel that PolarBearToeNail's explanation of her work is perfect in that regard, but when she crosses over into the real race heavy stuff she can misstep at times. Bignick's review of her work is more how I feel about it. And in the end I can honestly say it wouldn't matter that much to me, just some more shock humor, except for the response that she gets, which is overly positive, so that's why I'm harping on that. I'm just trying to understand what makes people build up these jokes, which I see as flat shock humor, to much more than they are. I think their motivations for doing that can be interesting and teach us something about the people around us.