Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectOkay, response v. intent, how do we judge it? ----> "we" don't
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=47787&mesg_id=47856
47856, Okay, response v. intent, how do we judge it? ----> "we" don't
Posted by Cork, Thu Apr-13-06 01:32 PM
>> Her work is what it is,
>but some people are interpreting it as much more.

Assuming there is no greater motivation, I think those are unjustified comparisons like I said above. But if I am to take your POV, I would agree with you that she's falling well shy of making any substantial or important "point". And those comparisons to the people who have come before, while technically MORE accurate, would become even MORE inappropriate and incorrect.

>
>Are those people loving it disproportionately white hipsters?
>Is that worth commenting on?

For me, not really.

Most people I know who are
>really digging Sarah Silverman are white hipsters (although
>that could obviously be a more a problem with who I'm spending
>my time with than anything), and I always think our struggles
>with race are kind of weird. One of my first posts in this
>thread was more about that, so I won't repeat myself, but
>suffice to say I find the white hipster attitude toward race
>and racism "interesting."

Forgive the brevity above. I'm not trying to come across as flippant or in any way discredit what you find of consequence, but I'm not really too concerned with holding an opinion on anything aside from the material and/or the gal herself. I didn't read your comment above but I'll go back and read it because you make yourself clear when you write.

>
>I mean, I understand Dice Clay's joke, even though it went
>over millions of people's heads, but at the same time after a
>while he probably should have dropped it, because the irony
>was gone. So on the one hand I don't really have a problem
>with ADC's work, but I do have a problem with his reception.

You know, I think he DID try to lose it and found out just what you said that the ultimate joke was on him. He couldn't aim any higher than the low expectations and low brow he defined so well. Not to say he had THAT much more to offer but I think he's a fine comic actor who was capable of a bigger and more varied career than he has/had.

But you know what?? I think if he really honestly wanted to fully escape the "Diceman" persona he could've. So maybe I'm wrong in thinking that he tried to lose it and wasn't allowed to.

>I'm not trying to say that Sarah Silverman is on that level (I
>don't think she is at all), I'm just trying to point out how
>it might be appropriate to focus on the response in contrast
>to the work itself. In this case I think the response is very
>telling.

If I'm understanding you correctly then I will disagree with you here. Not in the area of focus like I explained above, but in the opinion of her talent. I think she's surpassed ADC in talent. He was a better stand-up, and I stress "WAS" because his late 90s stuff is excreble, but she, to me, is a better actor. I think by default of their appearance she has more range. They're both un-ethnic Jews (Is that racist? If so I apologize.) who carry themselves as somewhat altered personas. He can be a greaser or a hood visually while a good looking gal like her can be extremely varied in her roles. While that has nothing to do with talent I think she does more IN the varied roles she has and thus is more talented of the two.

I'll say it here: I like Sarah Silverman. I have always had an affinity for her. She's nice to the eyes and can act. She has made me belly laugh with some of her material. I have yet to see "Jesus Is Magic" so perhaps I'll hate her with a passion very soon yet, but as of now I ride for her.

>
>(And yeah, I don't have any Silverman quotes, I'm just
>attributing those defenses made in this thread to her, because
>without them her work is kind of empty.)

Gotcha.