Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectWeek 6: A Very Sudden Twist Ending
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=47680&mesg_id=47732
47732, Week 6: A Very Sudden Twist Ending
Posted by Ryan M, Tue May-30-06 10:40 PM
Today, the office manager called in sick...but before he did, he called my cell phone to ask if I could fill in for him. What I found out at the end of the day was that they were paying me a daily rate to do it (totally unexpected and awesome). This is, unfortunately, not the surprise ending the subject promised.

At the end of the day, after a very long and trying day on the phones/managing basic office stuff (more on this later), I was informed that Lawrence Bender, Quentin Tarantino's (and many other people's) superproducer, pulled the plug on the Commercial/Music Video department of A Band Apart at about 6:30PM PST. It wasn't a SURPRISE to a lot of people working there and in the know as they knew things had been rocky for awhile, but it was a shock that it was so sudden. I was the last intern left for the day so nobody else found out (plus I was a psuedo-employee for day as well), so I got the lowdown from some of the people in the company. All of them expressed their condolences to which I was like, "Don't even start to feel bad for me...you guys work here and are left with nothing. At least I wasn't getting paid."

I mean, you got dudes with wives/kids, rent, new cars, etc. I live rent free with very little bills. I can't even imagine. Luckily everyone there liked me (mutual, for sure...cool ass people) so they gave me mad business cards, emails, cell #s...I got contacts for days from all sides (music videos, commercials, office manager, assistants, vault manager), I'm covered. But still, it was heartbreaking to see what effect that had on people. It sucks to lose this thing for sure, as I loved the place and the people...but everything happens for a reason, and now I'm freed up by the end of June (GSN internship goes till then) rather than July to find a job, plus I'm happy I didn't get hired on a sinking ship.

But all the same, it's messed up.