Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectWEEK 2: Running Around Los Angeles
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=47680&mesg_id=47697
47697, WEEK 2: Running Around Los Angeles
Posted by Ryan M, Tue May-02-06 11:45 PM
So, it's been slow. Very slow. One job is going on in Uruguay and so there isn't a whole hell of a lot to do. As I believe I said earlier, I'm familiarizing myself with LA/Santa Monica/Hollywood. I know my way around, but now I REALLY know my way around. It's cool when you relax rather than focus on the traffic.

So basically this week has been fill in the gaps type busy work, which is cool because I'm trying to let them know that I don't mind such stuff. I try to be in early, leave late, and ask everyone in the office if they need something before I take off. Real cool people there. Very nice and personable. Of course, I'm sure it's more stressful when jobs are going on, but everyone is way cool so I know it'll be alright.

Today I did a bunch of runs around LA...picking up a birthday cake for a director coming in, going to the grocery store, picking up office supplies at Office Depot, etc. Sorry there isn't more interesting things to report, but really...it's a slow period and I'm a new intern. What else would they have me do? Take heed, future interns: You will need to let go of any sort of ego prior to taking one of these or else you'll go crazy. If I had an ego, I'd be like, "Yo I graduated film school and already DID an internship, the hell do I have to organize a file cabinet for?" - but have this attitude coming in:

It is an investment in your future. Show em you'll do anything, ANYTHING. Because if you do work like that for free, they'll certainly want to hire you if something becomes available.

I know this sounds common sense. But I've had to remind myself of it throughout the 3 days I've been there, and will certainly have to do it much more. I don't have an ego, and I don't mind doing what I do, but it's frustrating sometimes to be in my situation of having literally no money and having to do stuff like this in order to maybe get a job.

Anyway, hopefully it'll pick up soon. Once it does, things will get more interesting.