Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectRE: it's great that you loved the movie.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=46583&mesg_id=46591
46591, RE: it's great that you loved the movie.
Posted by princeguy, Sun Jan-14-07 07:06 PM
I personally have no problem with people having a different opinion, but as a critic, you should write a review for a movie with more than whether or not YOU liked it.

Personally, I don't understand or really have an interest in NASCAR, but if i'm a critic, and I review a movie about NASCAR, I can't shit on it because I don't like or understand NASCAR.

Did the movie have the elements of a good story? Were the characters strong, interesting, or engaging? Was there good vs evil? Were there any heartfelt moments? Did someone surpass the odds dealt them? Did someone fall in love? Did someone learn a universal life lesson?

There are so many things that can make a movie good enough to not be shitted on- as a movie. It might not be your cup of tea per se, but review it as a movie critic, not just as "a white guy" or a "black woman", or an "asian gradfather", or a "young boy", or whatever you happen to be.

Hell, my old man thinks Prince is gay as hell, but he still says that Purple Rain was a good movie. It's him being able to take his personal feelings about the star out of his review of the MOVIE.