Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectshe hates me is yet another self indulgent spike lee vehicle
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=46432&mesg_id=46579
46579, she hates me is yet another self indulgent spike lee vehicle
Posted by GumDrops, Mon Dec-19-05 12:03 PM
spike doesnt voice his characters, he just uses them as toys for him to churn out the same old rhetoric hes been wheeling out for almost two decades
the ending to this was fucking atrocious! spike could have made a good film about corporate business ethics and the effects it has on its employees and its relation to the american public or whatever but no, he just had to get on his sopabox about one of his usual now-tired obsessions, which this time was homosexuality and his ill informed preconceptions about it
i dont think this film was insulting to women, i dont totally think it was even insulting to lesbians, they wanted a kid, he gave them the sperm, it was basically a business transaction, but that whole thread was only there so spike could do his little sweetback-tribute
(i dont think he was suggesting that lesbians could be 'converted' cos none of the women went over to the hetero side did they?)
this could have been a good film but its just another case of spike losing all sense of narrative discipline and pacing (and those forced speeches thrown in for no real reason, totally unnecessary to the character or plot by john turturro during his convo with john armstrong and those embarassing speeches during the court case were ridiculous)
spike didnt know what type of film to make with she hate me, this film was a mess