Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectmaybe 'excitement' was the wrong word
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=46432&mesg_id=46527
46527, maybe 'excitement' was the wrong word
Posted by AFKAP_of_Darkness, Fri Dec-09-05 04:09 PM
but they still seemed a bit too much into it (apart from maybe Sarita Choudhoury's character)... even that scene where he has to disrobe so they can look at his dick... it's so unnecessary. why are they so interested in looking at his penis rather than at, say, his medical records (maybe they looked at that too... been a while since i watched it)

but that scene was supposed to be some sort of sexual challenge... but they're not supposed to be interested in *sex* with him, are they?

i know lots of lesbians have had sex with men before... and lots of them didn't like it as much as these chicks seemed to (some of them may actually like dick, sure... but why did ALL of them have to?)

>and the whole "training section of Kill Bill 2......*SMH*

what's wrong with that sequence?

well, if anything is wrong with it, it's the fact that it's homage. QT likes to (mis)quote the old adage that "bad artists do homage while great artists steal"... QT has stolen quite well in a lot of previous scenes but here he was doing homage.

but then again, the entire film was a homage so if you've gotten to that point in the movie, you must have already come to terms with that

>the watch story in Pulp Fiction....entertaining but also
>unecessary....

i wouldn't say it was unnecessary... it was definitely indulgent. but then again, that is the flavor of the film.

did we NEED the whole Christopher Walken speech in order to set up the fact that this watch means a lot to Butch? no. that could have been established in like 2 seconds.

but Pulp Fiction is not necessarily a film that is based on plot... it's character-driven, and the point of that scene was to let this Christopher Walken character ramble on about sticking a watch up his ass.

>and as enjoyable as Pulp Fiction was it was horribly
>disjointed...

how? i don't see any disjointedness at all.

you could make a case with Kill Bill, but Pulp was pretty fluid... that's part of its appeal for most people, the fact that despite the fractured nature of the narrative, by the end all the ends tie together

>as was Jackie Brown....that had enough shit for a few movies
>as well....as do any of QT's shits...

umm... Jackie Brown. that film had a few problems but i'm not sure if disjointedness was necessarily one of them. i think the issue was that the characters were not as strong (or at least, as idiosyncratic) as some of QT's other films and he's left to let the plot push things forward... and plot is not necessarily something he's good with. actually, i'm almost certain that he's just not *interested* in plot.