Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectI get your point but...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=46432&mesg_id=46509
46509, I get your point but...
Posted by SoulHonky, Mon Dec-12-05 01:28 AM
Many people consider plot and story synonymous so it becomes confusing. While some say Subplot, others say B-Story. There's no real single defining language for film.

The way I see it, She Hate Me has a single narrative thread: A young man struggling to survive in the world while keeping his moral code. This is the plot of the movie. Can Jack do the right thing?

The problem wasn't that this thread diverged into multiple stories, the problem (for me) was that they weren't connected and nothing in one story was really dependant on the outcome of the other. However, people who like the film don't care about that. They are just along for the ride and don't really care if the story from Act 1 disappears for most of Act 2, only to reappear in Act 3 even though its reappearance is not motivated by anything that happened in Act 2. They are following the story/plot/thread of will Jack do the right thing? or Can Jack accept the decisions he's made? There is one story: this guy's life is crazy, what's going to happen next?

If you don't find his life compelling (as I didn't) then this movie sucks because then there is no driving force. (A Thin Red Line is also like this: if you don't get into the different stories, there's nothing really to keep you tuned in. I love that film but again can see why people would disagree) I would still say that She Hate Me is a poorly conceived film however I can't tell people that it doesn't work because film is completely subjective.