Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectI'm late to the lovefest, I know
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=42391&mesg_id=42456
42456, I'm late to the lovefest, I know
Posted by buckshot defunct, Mon Aug-28-06 03:47 PM
But I just gotta echo the positive sentiments here.

Great performances all around. I thought Arkin was a real scene stealer and Carrel did a good job with a slightly more subdued performance than he's used to.

Someone described the script as hacky - It was probably the hackiest element of the film, but still not all that hacky, really. Now, that whole 'uh-oh, looks like EVERYBODY has to go on a road trip' set up was transparent, but by that time the cast had gotten the ball rolling so much that I didn't care. If anything, I was delighted in the lack of pretense. And movies that end in big dance numbers generally *should* be hacky, but this is an exception to the rule.

And speaking of that dance scene, I thought the whole Rick James faux-striptease worked out brilliantly. Sort of reminded me of 'Me and You and Everyone We Know,' where conventional logic tells us it should be appalling, but somehow, it isn't at all. Those beauty pageants are like the most pervese things on earth, but that scene was just bursting with innocence.

In general I just liked it a lot. Lots of laughs. On a number of occasions I was short of breath. A fun R-rated family comedy.

Thumbs up.