Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectvery good movie. near a 3.5/4
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=42391&mesg_id=42426
42426, very good movie. near a 3.5/4
Posted by ricky_BUTLER, Sun Aug-13-06 04:27 PM
I laughed out loud, along with the whole theater, a lot.

Only real complaints: The whole body-stealing thing seemed like a real big stretch at first, absurd almost, but they made it work as the movie went on . . . Also, Frank running into his ex-student / crush at the convenience store was a stretch and really not needed (looking at old pictures and seeing his rival's ad in the paper would have satisfied that side of the story enough). . . . Greg Kinnear's character was a little one-dimensional and obvious for the first 3/4, but, basically from the pageant on, he changed the entire tone of his demeanor and I bought it.

Otherwise, it all worked for me. . . . Great cast. I wonder how many movies Toni Collette has had stolen by either Julianne Moore or Laura Linney, because she certainly should be in their A-list category. . . . Steve Carrell keeps making all the right career choices . . . Good use of music . . . Entire film was well photographed, more understated than anything, and there were a number of great shots, mostly involving the car (it to the right with Dwayne doing pushups to the back and left / the two-tier freeway structure / stopped by the embankment as Dwayne runs down, etc.) . . . I thought the running gags of the notepad and starting the car (pardon the pun) might get tired, but they never felt overdone, which showed restraint but also the directors' / writer's ability to put news spins on the concepts. . . . Olive could be the 2006 Bee Girl. . . . The first pushing-the-bus scene could be a classic.

Overall, it felt like a Todd Solondz movie without all the creepiness and overpowering sense of bleakness. Comedic scenes were successful, dramatic moments were handled appropriately and felt believable.

Side question: anyone know why Chloe from 24 and dude from Suddenly Susan popped up in mini-cameos?