Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectBillyOcean's nearly on point. The film was very, very good.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=42391&mesg_id=42399
42399, BillyOcean's nearly on point. The film was very, very good.
Posted by ZooTown74, Fri Jul-21-06 01:44 AM
Emotionally, it hits all the right notes and is quite funny.

It's another 'independent-road trip-with-a-fucked-up-family-movie." The family in question (led by Greg Kinnear and Toni Collette) load up the family in the VW Bus to head to Redondo Beach, all so their daughter can participate in the Little Miss Sunshine pageant.

I had a little trouble with more than a few of the "coincidental" plot turns, but I let them go, simply because the movie's not just about "will they get her to the pageant?" I'm recommending this jawn for the comedy. I thought Michael Arndt's script was perfectly sour without being needlessly dark, and I appreciated that. There's a lot of heart in the movie that I appreciated.

I'm also recommending the movie because of the fine performances. I'm sure everyone wants to know how Steve Carell was, and I'll say that he gave a fine, modulated comic performance. No loud and wild Michael Scott-isms or behaviors. Greg Kinnear played his usual asshole role to a T. Toni Collette was in fine frazzled form. Paul Dano, well, he did a nice job of scowling and looking like a typical 16-year old rebel without a clue. Alan Arkin nearly stole the movie with his performance. I say, nearly. Some will argue that he's just playing one-note, and that's fine, but I thought he gave the film its free-wheeling spirit. His character is the goofily perverted soul of the movie.

Some of you will be "annoyed" with the little girl who plays Olive, Abigail Breslin. Fuck you. No, seriously, keep your cynical, unfeeling, child-hating asses at home. Abigail Breslin was adorable without being cloying, if that's possible (and I'm saying right now that it is). And there's a shot near the end where she doesn't say a word and ends up earning one of the biggest laughs in the movie. She's unquestionably the star of this thing, and if I had anything to do with it, she'd get an Oscar as of this point in time. Yeah, I said it. Oh, and fuck Dakota Fanning, while you're at it.

Looks like I have to send those damn AMC Theatre people another email. Because at certain moments, such as one particular shot with Olive and her big brother (you'll know it when you see it), it seemed like the allergens in the air were infiltrating the auditorium, because I kept tearing up. Dammit!

On the black hand side, sadly, there was only one Asiatic goddess (peace, queens) in the flick. She rolled her neck about 12 times, I counted, yo. Oh, and she also committed the sin of saying "Ain't." I hope they revoke her SAG card, fuckin' sellout. But the good news is, Rick James got paid again, y'all!

Techinically, it's solid (I always say that). Lots of great shots of the clan-- er, family (peace, gods) in various stages of emotional duress. Didn't feature any of the usual camera tricks normally associated with Jonathan Dayton and Valerie Faris (the DP was Tim Suhrstedt).

Oh, and I'm sure there might be a little "controversy" about a certain third act sequence, but I just have to say that any complaints about that sequence completely miss the point of it. So let me present the *WHOOOSH* in advance.

I see why Fox Searchlight paid $10.5 large. Hell, I would have too. This joint deserves to be seen. Don't go in expecting a great indie masterpiece of plotting and action, see it for the comedy and the performances.

Highly, highly recommended.