Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectGlad to hear you dig comics and DC.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=40675&mesg_id=40869
40869, Glad to hear you dig comics and DC.
Posted by JRennolds, Sun Sep-17-06 12:10 PM
52 has been quite amazing so far, given it's a weekly comic. What gets me more, is the fact that 52 revolves around second-tier characters; not Batman, not Superman and not even Wonder Woman. DC is by far the better company when it comes to creating a property, updating it, preserving it and keeping it fresh.

I think a big factor is that, DC characters are generational heroes (legacy characters). This is nice in the grand scheme of things because it gives DC options when things begin to get stale or when the fans "want more."

I'm not going to knock Marvel because like DC, they have let a few properties go; The Flash is now the equivalent to Marvel's X - Men property (to an extent).

With that said, Marvel seems to be following in DC's footsteps, which is a positive thing, by creating younger versions of their main titles. Books like New X-Men, Young Avengers, Runaways (to an extent) and even Spider Girl, offer new readers the oppurtunity to ignore years of back-story and get in on the ground floor of the next generation's big series. Marvel also has the Ultimate line which isn't necessarily redundant but it offers newer readers the chance to read classic stories that are reimagined in order to seem relevant today.

But yeah, I ride with DC any day of the week. The build-up to IC was simply astounding and spectacular. Although IC, the mini, wasn't all that great, what has followed has been classic material. 52 is fire, the OYL arcs-to now have stayed kicking and the level of creative effort going in to these books is wonderful. DC does all they can do to cater to their fans; they're very appreciative of us. Also, DC creators really love what they do and seem to be given creative freedom (not that much editorial dircetion) with their books.