Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectThanks muchos
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=40675&mesg_id=40809
40809, Thanks muchos
Posted by Big Chief Rumbletummy, Sun Aug-20-06 06:33 PM

Like I've said previously, I'm just catching up on all this ever since stumbling across my comics box at the way back of my garage. I've never been much of a Cape & Cowlick guy but I used to pick up tangential "supes" like PUNISHER, DAREDEVIL, & WOLVERINE. However, amongst my BONE, GOON, GROO, SCUD THE DISPOSABLE ASSASSIN, ROUTE 666, & RUSE collections, I found that I had strayed a bit and actually picked up some super-hero stuff from DC & Marvel about two-three years back. I copped this HAWKMAN/JSA crossover series, on recommendation of a guy at my LCS, that had Black Adam luring several super-heroes over to his side and cold gettin busy with the super-rumbles. That led me to picking up, and ultimately stopping at, Identity Crisis' #1 & #2. Other things, like real life, distracted me from comic collecting and they got packed away and forgotten. Until that damn day in mid-July when I found those books and re-read Iden. Crisis and was fuckin floored. I went out that afternoon and bought the whole damn series because I just HAD to find out what happened. Great story, very well delivered.

That led me to ask the proprieter of the comic shop near my work, which is basically the super mall of comic shops here in Sacramento, "where do I go from here"? ...Fuck...One month and about $150-$200 later I'm slowly catching up on all the great stuff that's out right now. You had mentioned that re: the "Countdown to Inf. Crisis", the space stuff was probably least interesting to you. I'm pretty much the same way as of right now, having not read any of it. I absolutely LOVED the "Day of Vengeance" storyline. I didn't want that to end. The theme of defining and perhaps eradicating the role that Magic has in the DC Universe really grabbed me, plus the art and characters were great. Spectre kicking ass on a cosmic level was amazing. I just read somewhere that there is a "one-off" dealing with DOV in which we see the Wiz Shazam get killed and the Rock of Ages (?) gets re-built....do you know the name of that or how its avaiable? Did you follow the rest of the "Countdown to..." stuff? Can you reco anything?

Please excuse the long-windedness, I'm just dealing with a serious Comic Jones right now.