Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectJust quickly...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=37564&mesg_id=37599
37599, Just quickly...
Posted by celery77, Mon Feb-27-06 05:47 PM
>Were you the one who was complaining that Nolan was
>getting/taking 2 much credit 4 it's success?

Nah, I wasn't in any Batman Begins discussions on this board. I didn't even watch it until a couple of months ago. He's a safe director and all and he hands in watchable movies, no doubt, I just don't necessarily rate him as an auteur of any real merit.

>I'm not sure the reason why that project never took off. I was
>very interested in it tho

I'm pretty certain it's because the studios want Batman to remain a blockbuster franchise and they didn't care to see their ass-kicking, mini-tank driving, all-black wearing, hot-chick banging super stud get the arthouse treatment. I think it's kind of obvious that at least some of their groundwork found its way into Batman Begins, what with the big psychological emphasais and all.

>I've seen all of Nolan's movies & I think he's a great
>director cuz of the way he displays the mood of the film. In
>Insomnia I really got a feeling for Pacino's character &
>situation. Same w/ Pearce in Memento & Bale in BB. Other
>directors just throw it out there & hope the audience takes it
>for granite. I think Nolan does a wonderful job of driving it
>home w/o being too overbearing & hitting the audience over the
>head w/ the "MESSAGE!" But hey, if it doesnt work for you then
>to each his own.

I suppose I could watch his movies again more closely, but it's probably safe to say that he's not my style. I think of him as a Brian Singer type -- happened into one good movie, proceeded to work a productive if not entirely revolutionary career from that point on.