Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectI dont get the comparission to Do The Right Thing
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=37102&mesg_id=37264
37264, I dont get the comparission to Do The Right Thing
Posted by BlacKnightSC, Tue Mar-07-06 01:53 AM
Do The Right Thing strictly dealt with things in a black community setting and really just explores the interaction in the black community with other individuals peppered in, while Crash deals with the idea of self bias and victimazation of that in a multi-racial circle...they both seemed different to me. And neither of them had really good character development...to understand Do The Right Thing, you have to already have a percevied conception of the characters. Its pretty much the same with Crash...You can argue there is more of a central point of character in Do The Right Thing, but barely so cause with maybe the exception of Spike, no one was really a central characters; someone walks into a scene and its a whole new mini-story. Cant really say the characters in Do The Right Thing displayed nearly as much humanistic emotion or logic as Crash; everyone was there in a scene to pretty much prove a point, move to next scene.

Their two different takes on a general idea...I dont get the anger here. And I really dont see how I should be offended by Crash...if anything I should be more offended by Brokeback Mountain for perpetuating the "All Indie Films are about Gay Cowboys Eating Pudding" myth...