Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectYou don't have to be a moron to like Crash
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=37102&mesg_id=37227
37227, You don't have to be a moron to like Crash
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Mon Mar-06-06 01:06 PM
I say this person who liked Crash and who does not consider myself a moron. I enjoyed Crash immensely as a little film that could and I am glad I saw it before all the hype that has since fuled a backlash against the movie. I plan to watch it again and I am sure I will see a lot of the criticism that the movie has generated in the backlash. Yeah things tied up somewhat nicely in the movie, but I remember at my first viewing my heart in my throat watching the movie not sure if certain characters would make it through the film, It turned out the movie had way happier endings for the characters than I expected, but at the time I didn't know it would standard Hollywood fare and was genuinely concerned for the characters (Happy endings is not in itself a flaw of a movie, PREDICTABLE Happy Endings is).
By I am not here to argue the substance of whether Crash or BBM was a superior movie. I take Offense at the notion that there is something inherently wrong with Crash winning the Best Picture Oscar. Upsets happen all the time and has been mentioned, movies that will stand the test of time lose to Big Event pictures almost every year. But I find it insulting when people act as if a travesty has occured because BBM lost. Now I have not scene BBM, and from the awards show and this discussion I think I am in the same position as a lot of people. I will see it eventually because a lot of people tend to think it is a good movie, But am I a homophobe because I don't have a natural inclination to see the movie? Even if I have never had an interest in seeing Western ROmances? Would I be a anti-semite If I didn't go to see Munich?
I would not resort to calling a critic of Crash a racist, and I think it is insulting for folks that act like there is this huge conspiracy against homosexuals to keep BBM down.

Reality check: according to the 2000 census, there were more than 31,000 black physicians and surgeons, 33,000 black lawyers. There are about 1,400 black athletes playing professional basketball, football and baseball combined.