Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectits personal taste i guess
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=36924&mesg_id=37052
37052, its personal taste i guess
Posted by ZioN, Thu Feb-23-06 10:36 PM

i mean i am in hysterics most of the time when i watch it. the style of humour really appeals to me. dry, tongue in cheeck british humour, when done properly is brilliant and this is what the bbc version does.

most people can't really seem to pin point what they love about the bbc version. i can though.

- ricky gervais as brent. it might just be me, but i laugh just looking at that character. he plays it unbelievably well. his character becomes even better when he's in awkward situations (which he seems to continually put himself in or surround himself with) and especially when he has a point to prove. i've just rewatched the whole series over the last couple of weeks and i just walk around laughing sometimes at the thought of some of the shit he does. the dance in series two. his songs in series one (ep. 4). he's just brilliant.

- the development of gareth's character. i think they said in one of the documentaries that they realised they could get the character to say dumber, crazier shit and it would work because of the way mackenzie played him and his obvious physicality etc. he's like brent in the way that he believes wholeheartedly that he's right and 'a man of the world' and 'cosmopolitan'. its lunacy.

- tim. his one liners, interraction with gareth and looks to the camera are yeah, hilarious. but as some have kinda touched on, the emotional baggage they build up with tim and dawn and is finally drawn to a head in the christmas specials is brilliant.

- dawn. lucy davis is HOT. hehe

i mean, if you don't find it funny, fair enough. some people i know who've seen it don't find it funny. they think its clever and scary at the accuracy of some of the things they do in the show. i think you've gotta have the right sorta take on the humour to find it funny. saying that, this is not your conventional sitcom with the canned laughter and obvious jokes. some of the things they do and say have been built up for the laugh, but alot of the times they don't go for the obvious joke. its far too awkward a show to do that.

i do think that anyone who doesn't love this show is missing out though.