Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectHotel Rwanda = NOT FUNNY AT ALL
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=36924&mesg_id=37041
37041, Hotel Rwanda = NOT FUNNY AT ALL
Posted by Big Chief Rumbletummy, Thu Feb-23-06 06:32 PM

I didn't laugh once.

While the original poster's assessment is just ridiculous and doesn't even warrant response...((yes...this is an elitist reply...if you think that the BBC Office is completely unfunny {{see: mcdeezjawns/nuts/berries & mcsp1200isbroke}} then I have no compunction in saying that I am not only smarter than you, but you're probably too dumb to realize it...you call it "elitist", I call it "shut the fuck up with your horrible opinion"))...I have a problem with all these people "defending" the BBC version using cliched and incorrect arguments. It is absurdly base and cliche to say that people can't like the Wernham/Hogg Office because it is "British" humor and that, by definition, it is too "dry".

My 5 point platform...

First off, someone define "dry humor". The fuck is that?? It is the most bandied about but undefined term ever. Almost as much as the terms "British/American Humor". Whats "British Humor"? Is it the almost genre bending psychoses of Monty Python; the gross-out oddball character stuff of The League of Gentlemen; is it the unfathomably lowbrow "appeals-to-the-semi-retarded" Benny Hill; is it Peter Sellers (who may indeed BE the definition of "dry"); is it Vic & Bob (and one extra one); is it Morecomb & Wise (with no deadwood); or the established genius of Everett Milligan Cleese. Sessions.

Secondly, The Office BBC (TOBBC) was influenced by American humorists and American comedians more than any Brit stuff. Rocky Gervais' favorite comics are all Americans. Yes, TOBBC was set in and made in Britain for a wildly responsive British audience so technically it is "British Humor" but the laughter isn't derived from the ever present sarcastic response that is the rock solid foundation of popular British humor. Its mostly all derived from the CYE & Larry Sanders type of "uncomfortable laughter" humor. TOBBC points at David Brent and laughs. Not at wacky situations he gets in, not in his sarcastic attitude, and definitely not in a sly and sublime manner. Much like you're supposed to squirm and laugh nervously at Hank Kingsley or Larry David, you're supposed to watch in horror as David Brent offends and ostracizes as he unwitrtingly amuses noone but himself. And me. And the rest of the intelligent population watching. If TOBBC can only be surmised as "British Humor" then I guess that means CYE & TLSS are just fish and chips off the old bloke.

Thirdinksy...TOBBC IS BETTER THAN TONBC. I want to just let that sink in. Breathe. Count 10. I'm not saying "funnier" and I don't mean "makes you laugh harder and more often". I mean its "better" than TONBC. TOBBC is A/K/A..."Superior"..."Greater Than"..."Weller Done"..."Cold Gettin Busier Than"..."Enhanced"..."Worse (Antonym)" than TONBC. It has an sweetly sad quality to it that TONBC doesn't even try to touch. Thats no knock on TONBC but TOBBC did both comedy and drama so well it just is flat out better. You can't argue it. Its science.

4th. In honor of the 4th ep of the 1st series of TOBBC. I have already stated (elsewhere) that this is the start-to-finish 30 funniest minutes of television ever. Its got: Keith's career goals, Monkey Allen down in the warehouse, Foregone Conclusion, gay farmers with no farm, false complaints, and Gareth...just watching.

Fish pussy. All of you who think that us fans of TOBBC only like it to be different and contrarian and elitist originals...do you really think that? That we, the large and vocal majority, only "say" we like it because we just have to hate on the American show and argue with its fans? Do you really? That just smacks of such low self esteem and such high delusions of grandeur. Automatically negating other's opinions because you feel those opinions only exist to counter your own. Yo thats like psychotic in a way.