Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectYou're right...but you can also be clever AND funny too.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=36924&mesg_id=36995
36995, You're right...but you can also be clever AND funny too.
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Feb-23-06 12:49 PM
As most of you know, I'm not a huge Arrested Development fan. I can certainly praise it for being clever, but that show doesn't make me laugh out loud as often as I'd like (*ducks tomatoes*) so I understand the point you're trying to make, honestly (and even if you disagree with my AD point, let's not make this another AD post, I think you at least understand the point I'm trying to make).

However, the BBC's Office was often clever AND funny, just like the NBC one is. I've certainly laughed out loud many times at the BBC one.

I think the difference is I find the NBC one to be more quotable. Perhaps it's because I'm American, or perhaps it's because quotables are what Steve Carrell does best, but I find it to be more quotable than Gervais's. Maybe that's why you like it more.

But Gervais's Office is quotable as well. And also very clever. And also very funny. That's why it has such a loyal and expansive fanbase, because that balancing act is a very delicate one.