Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectRE: Dreamgirls revisited; 2nd Thoughts...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=36319&mesg_id=36480
36480, RE: Dreamgirls revisited; 2nd Thoughts...
Posted by Nukkapedia, Sun Jan-21-07 01:21 PM
I feel what you're saying about Jennifer Hudson - but people were so bowled over by her performance that she's winning her award on the "wow-factor". While not a wholly perfect performance (some flat ADR lines prevent that for me), she easily dominates each scene she's in while more than holding her own with established actors like Danny Glover, Jamie Foxx, and Eddie Murphy. For a person who's never stepped onto a movie set before, she was nothing short of incredible. And I don't think there's a person on Earth who would say Jennifer Hudson is a better singer than Jennifer Holliday.

Anika Noni Rose isn't getting as much attention as she deserves, though. She was pretty friggin' fantastic too.

As far as Dawnn Lewis goes, I'm under the impression that all of her dialogue was cut (I haven't seen the script, but Melba Early speaks - briefly - in the novel). Either that, or she needs a new agent.

And Deena did none of the three things you listed. Curtis kicked her out of the group; it wasn't Deena's decision and she had qualms about it in the first place. Curtis eliminated her role in the forming of the group (he's the one who produced that promo reel), and Curtis cheated with Deena. Now, granted, Deena was a silent accomplice, but not an active participant.

I was under the impression that any hard feelings between Deena and Effie were squashed during that late night phone call Deena made from the poolhouse phone (during the "Listen" montage). Exposing Curtis' payola schemes to kill Effie's record was how Deena redeemed herself.

And the confrontation you were looking for - the "It's All Over" song doesn't qualify?