Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectHaving seen this for the 2nd time, I must say its an experience....
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=36319&mesg_id=36464
36464, Having seen this for the 2nd time, I must say its an experience....
Posted by jambone, Sun Jan-14-07 07:45 PM
Dreamgirls is really more than a movie.

If you are coming in to see...well...a movie with great acting,

you will probably be disappointed.

But! (c) Chris Berman

its one hell of an enjoyable experience seeing this movie.

This movie had something for pratically every fan who came to see it:

If you were an eddie murphy fan, you got see him being Eddie, funny with that classic big cheesy grin throughout the movie. If you were a Beyonce fan, you got to see her many looks,see how beautiful she was and see her perform her best and oustanding vocal performance with "Listen". If you watched the show American Idol, like I do, you got see the girl who you thought had some talent but was booted off too quickly in season 3 (the year Fantasia won), in Jennifer Hudson. And if you were just a fan of the musical itself or just a movie goer in general with curiosity about the film, you went to see it. If you were a Beyonce hater, this movie was for you because you see her play 2nd fiddle for once, by man's design in the script and God's design with the voice and breath-taking and awe inspiring peformance by Jennnifer Hudson.

I'll start off by saying again, Jamie Foxx did his best acting job in this movie. I think Jamie is a hack when it comes to acting. But in this case, he does an admirable job, being that he is really the central figure that all of the other characters revolve around. I think he held position quite well in the movie. I thought he did a better job than Eddie, IMO. Eddie just hung out in this movie, and did what Eddie does best, bring the laughs intentionally and unintentionally. I also liked Danny Glover's role, albeit small, I thought he played an effective role in the movie as well. And Anika Noni Rose did a fine job, and she has a lovely voice.

Now...to Beyonce and Jennifer....

First Beyonce, acting wise I thought she was average at best. Nothing really exciting. But I blame that on the role or directing of the movie. There wasn't enough material to get any depth with her character. Singing-wise, she did well. But I thought "Listen" was incredible. The best vocal performance of her career by FAR. It is excellent. I think this song and performance by here w/ "Listen" would have really stood out more had it not been for....

Jennifer Hudson.

You know, sometimes in life you have great performances. But there are rare times when sometimes those great performances or performers or even eclisped by something that is even greater and more phenomenal.

That is what happend when discussing Jennifer Hudson's rendition of "And I am telling You" and Beyonce's "Listen".

Shoot, the star of the whole movie is Jennifer Hudson's voice. It is just so powerful, so gut-wrenching, it hits your core when she sings. I remember her from American Idol. She could always hit those home runs with her voice, but her mid-range vocals needed work. And my God!, boy do they work now!!!! On the two times I've seen this movie, when Jennifer sings "And I Am telling You", it really affects you. If you don't feel something when she sings that, something ain't right. lol. Its awe-inspiring, god-fearing, when she sings it. I was almost forced to tears hearing it both times watching it in the theatre. Its beyond incredible.

So yeah, Dreamgirls is an experience. Was it a classic movie? No, far from it. But it was an enjoyable one. There is something there for everybody. One of the better movies I enjoyed in a long time.