Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectThe Corruptor is one of the best action films of the 90s...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=34609&mesg_id=34652
34652, The Corruptor is one of the best action films of the 90s...
Posted by Mr Mech, Sun Jul-10-05 10:57 AM
It has a lot of themes about exotification that utilize the conventual fish out of water plot and ultimately turn it on it's head. On one hand I think it's funny that it's almost mandatory that Chow Yun Fat has to die at the end of a cop film but on the other hand I'm glad it left no room for a sequel and let the story stand at where it was. These are some of the artistic reasons I appreciate the film, consider it a big personal influence and think you can have an intellectual discussion about the film after you see it.

All that aside, it's got some funny lines, the always charismatic Chow Yun Fat, a sick ass car chase and a crazy fucked up gang that's fun to watch murder and maim. Basically, anyone who enjoys action films could easily have a great time with the film.

Now, the film aside, I didn't realize you were only 20. Here's my advice, look at intellectual films the same way you do popcorn fluff and everything in between. No matter what the subject matter, it's fun to sit back and let a film wash over you. With the exception of documentaries (and maybe not even documentaries) you're just supposed to enjoy watching the story unfold. The way you watch Independence Day is the same way you watch Z, the only thing that's different is the conversation afterwards and all that's important is that you have something new to talk / think about.

Mech