Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectLet's see.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=34381&mesg_id=34400
34400, Let's see.
Posted by Ryan M, Mon Apr-18-05 04:47 PM
There was a Behind the Scenes documentary being made on set. Of which I'm barely in it because it was being made by a guy who's very clique-ish with a few people on set (they always work together) and they basically only shot those people. A few people in this group constantly work together and thus stuck up for each other (no matter if they were wrong or not). These people were:

Director/Writer
Producer (the other one)
Associate Producer/Making of Director
Key Grip
Editor

So you have people in poisitons of power making all the decisions with one another. That's a problem in and of itself...as personal relationships should be checked at the door on a film set (my girlfriend was the PM, and as a producer, I will call her out when I find her to be wrong, and vice versa). Anyway, you have these people working together, and they like working together and will continue to work together. The rest of us:

Producer (me)
Production Manager
Director of Photography/ACs
Sound Mixer
Gaffer

And a few others I'm forgetting are NOT part of their clique. All of us thought the story was absolutley ridiculous, and hated the "direction" the director provided. Long story short, we didn't care about the film, we just wanted to make the process as painless as possible, and to get a good grade. The director and other producer were so passionate about this pile of shit, I just didn't understand it whatsoever. They LOVED this thing and even called it the best thing they've ever done.

Basically the director-producer combo was awful as the director would be the go-to guy to make decisions and the producer would be trying to direct, and they both were so into this story it drove most of us nuts (especially the attention to detail in which drove days into the 14 hour range). Most people didn't like them, because...well, there's only so many 7-8 hour turnarounds that people can take. When people focused their anger on me because of that, I would dissassociate myself from the project altogether and sympathize with them.

I'm not in the business of airing out bullshit to crew or actors. But I did here.

The actors were very into it too. I dunno, to me...the characters were flat, campy, and the direction was awful. But I guess they really just like to work or something.

Oh and I overheard the director talking about sending this to Sundance and getting it shown theatrically for 7 days to get it on IMDB. I threw up a little in my mouth, cause if this is my first IMDB credit, I'll be very upset.