Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectNBC's the Office > BBC The Office
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=33611&mesg_id=33611
33611, NBC's the Office > BBC The Office
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Mon Oct-24-05 02:53 PM
I know the fanboys will disagree simply on the grounds that the NBC show is a "rip-off" of the BBC version, but once you get past that and judge the individual merits of the two shows you have to admit that the NBC show is as good if not better than the BBC version.

There are differences between the show, and you can tell that NBC did a lot to tailor the show for American audiences. It wasn't until comparing the shows did I realize how prudish American TV van be. However, I think in general though the changes work. Besides cutting down the sexual humor, The American version departs from the BBC Version mainly by characterization of the Boss. I think the US version goes further to make the audience like David. This strategy may be a cop-out to some, but its Steve Carrell uses it as an opportunity to better humanizing the character. Carrell's character is looking to liked by everyone, wheresa Gervais' character is looking to have his ego stroked. Both are entertaining, Carrell's performance though is more endearing.

Its Carrell's performance in general that makes for a better show in my opinion. THis is no disrespect to Ricky Gervais, because he is responsible for both shows being brilliant.

An easier way to swallow that the NBC's Office is to think in terms of theater not television. No one is mad when performers revive a great play, but critics would be annoyed if they ripped off the performances of the original actors and did not taylor the performance to local taste. Think of NBC's the office as being more akin to broadway production of the Producers, than NBC's failed Coupling.

Reality check: according to the 2000 census, there were more than 31,000 black physicians and surgeons, 33,000 black lawyers. There are about 1,400 black athletes playing professional basketball, football and baseball combined.