Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectUh-huh
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=33102&mesg_id=33126
33126, Uh-huh
Posted by Slim Ass Rivets, Fri Aug-12-05 12:39 PM

>the way I see it it's supposed to be uncharacteristic, in that
>it's all about the ridiculous, immature, unexpected, things a
>man will do when he's in love. Max being wise beyond his years
>he's still just a kid. Mr Blume being in his 40s he's still a
>kid as well (runnin over bikes and shit).

I agree with you in that being the crux of their relationship throughout the (3rd act?) of the film. However, i think that's better expressed, through Max, in him putting bees in the room, disabling the car, and planning to kill him with a tree. He is angry, he feels cheated, and he's still a kid so he doesn't fully comprehend the severity and finality of the death, or at least serious injury, he's proposing. But to include the wife and mother of Blum's kids seemed beyond it for a kid who was obviously still upset over having lost his mother. I also don't think he would have shamed Miss Cross that way, as much as he was angry and hurt with her, she was still his Rushmore at the time and he would have as soon as burned down the school as hurt her.

But my biggest complaint with that scene was even after I accepted, fine, he's doing this despicable thing, him going on and offering her snacks, and her accepting, was 4 much. I can remember some lady in the audience at that point in the movie, I assume on seeing where the food was perched, utter "Oh No!" loudly, thinking he was going to push her off the ledge or something. I never got that feeling, but i still fellt "oh no!" about the cut away shot to the food and juice because it was an unwelcome interjection of lightheartedness in a scene that should have been played heavy throughout. I personally would cut that whole scene and have Blum's wife find out through his kids or dinner at the same restaurant with her tennis instructor(?) or something, but I digressinate.

you wanna talk about
>mean, look how he treated his dad.

You mean lying about him?