Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectIf I could just go back and time.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=32921&mesg_id=32964
32964, If I could just go back and time.
Posted by Professor Calculus, Sun Jun-26-05 10:17 PM
>and its okay that we have different opinions on some
>directors and movies. Out of curiosity ...
>
>> we
>>justify Brazil because we like Monty Python.
>
>
>I could see if you said Jabberwoky (I tried justifying it for
>the longest time) ... what's your particular issue(s) with
>Brazil, Professor?

Back under a different username a long, long time ago, I think Brazil was the first movie I ever made a post about (it was a reply, really). I had just seen it for the first time and was left incredibly disappointed. What followed was a lengthy discussion of everything that I found poor with the film. Now, unfortunately I have neither the memory or time to get in quite so detail.

Basically my displeasure with Brazil boils down to this idea of having all the elements on hand for a good movie, but squandering them and making it all into a long-winded confusing mistake. You got De Niro and his character is basically the impetus for all the action, but he's so poorly used and written. Then you got these mammoth and spectacular sets, but they never really transcend their physical size. They're kind just big sets for the purpose of big sets. The budget, the Orwellian ideas on hand, all are squandered for a dank and boring look at would could have potentially been enthralling.