Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectare you Tom Cruise's official spokesman?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=32921&mesg_id=32946
32946, are you Tom Cruise's official spokesman?
Posted by Professor Calculus, Sun Jun-26-05 03:52 PM
Good job if you can get it, I guess.

>But Eyes Wide Shut has nothing on A Clockwork Orange, which
>isn't a perfect picture itself.

Well, yes, Eyes Wide Shut isn't a great film either, but I like it more. And what I like outweighs the flaws I see in it, whereas the opposite is the case for Clockwork. EWS has a perfect mood fitting for its subject, some of Kubrick's best cinematography (that's the one aspect of his career I can't deny), an effective score, beautiful women, and plot that's haunting enough to entice the able viewer. It's bad in some sections, but what's left is intriguing to me.

>Eyes Wide Shut I think is really bad. One of Tom Cruise and
>Nicole Kidman's worst performances (Tom Cruise in Cocktail
>>>>>> TC in Eyes Wide Shut, Nicole Kidman in Bewitched >>>>>
>NK in Eyes Wide Shut...the only possible counterargument is
>Nicole is naked in Eyes Wide Shut, but you can name some of
>the worst performances of both of those actors and Eyes Wide
>Shut will be there with them).

See, and my whole theory on acting, as per a previous post, kinda got its start in discussion of Tom Cruise in Eyes Wide Shut. It's a pretty wooden, stiff and dense performance, but IMO it's what exactly the role needed (and the theory goes that he's shown some of the same attributes intentionally or not elsewhere, but here it finally is turned into something notable--but that was last week's mess).

And Cocktail, beyond being not good, was one of the worst movie experiences I've ever had (watched it in the middle of Midwest humidity, on a soiled couch owned by two overweight, dirty, pot-smoking parapalegics.) But that's not the point.