Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectI like it too. I even own it.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=32921&mesg_id=32939
32939, I like it too. I even own it.
Posted by Professor Calculus, Sun Jun-26-05 02:47 PM
And all praise is due to the stunning Laura Elena Harring (goddamn you digital blurring).

Outside of this one, Twin Peaks, and that Lumiere short he did, I don't think I've really been too caught up by any of his work. But I think if I lived in a bubble and hadn't heard about any of the reaction to Mulholland Dr., then I woulda guessed it to be the type of movie that critics hate and sweep under the rug, while it becomes a personal favorite of many, a video find. As it turns out, it wasn't a film that every critic loved, but those who did, defended it feverishly. And it wasn't without its handful of awards and nominations. This is because a) you can't ignore it, David Lynch did it. b) you can't pass it off as confusing nonsense, David Lynch did it.

I mentioned this little idea of mine before and someone responded that Donnie Darko did favorably enough. While I have yet to see that, it was not treated as high and mighty as Lynch's film. Plus, at least from people on this message board, there's been noticeable hate towards Darko. If a respected and established director had made it, I'd figure people to be more likely to approve of it, if only slightly.

It's kinda like if the local wino jumped off the town's largest bridge, people would scoff and call it a selfish moment. But if Jesus had a second coming and took the same dive, it suddenly becomes justified and praised.