Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectEveryone's entitled to their opinions.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=32921&mesg_id=32925
32925, Everyone's entitled to their opinions.
Posted by Professor Calculus, Sun Jun-26-05 02:45 PM
So I'm gonna heed the wise words of Ms. Hanson and remember that no one's opinion is wrong. And I can see through a slanted sort of way why people like Apocalypse Now, but please try harder to refute my apparent idiocy.

Deny that it's pretentious. "Making or marked by an extravagant outward show; ostentatious." Tell me that I was just imagining a drunken Martin Sheen bashing in glass, all BVD upped, for five minutes. Tell me that the narration wasn't as pompous as I perceived it. Tell me that it didn't seem like Coppola was directing with the camera on one side and a stack of poetry books on the other, flaunting each. Tell me that you treasure the Redux version and value the self-indulgent mediocrity of the French Plantation scene especially. Tell me that every idea is realized. Tell me that everything after Dennis Hopper's hallucinogenic-inspired rant isn't a terrible mess. Tell me that Brando and that whole section wasn't a trite disappointment . Please. Then tell me how it's not just a movie about Vietnam, but that it is Vietnam--I love that little tagline too. Excuse its faults and every limp literary allusion, every banal over-wrought moment. I dare ya.