Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectFINALLY saw this
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=24262&mesg_id=24428
24428, FINALLY saw this
Posted by ZioN, Mon May-23-05 10:08 AM
(just got back from seeing it)

and i agree with alot of people here on alot of things
my random thoughts though:

i think the film NEEDED to be overtly racist (with all the characters being set up in some situation involving racism either due to their own views or those of others). i can understand people who say 'this was just over the top' but two things. 1- its a MOVIE and 2- you need to think that this is kinda like a case study and we are only looking at characters who are surrounded by or in a situation involving racism. the film would cease to make sense if there was a random story that was less to do with racism and instead introduced another facet to the movie. the over the top racism serves a purpose. i did think watching it that there are people like all these people out there somewhere. it is believable that their paths would cross once or twice

i thought the actors used were really great. they all did extremely well with the roles they had. the great thing was, there were alot of 'name' actors but i didn't sit there and think of it as 'oh here's don cheadle again' (if you know what i mean). all believable jobs and all very powerful in their own ways

some people have found the music over the top or whatever but i found it all quite powerful and affecting. i realised i was being manipulated emotionally while i was watching it, but there's nothing wrong with that. once again, the music served an important purpose
the reason why i didn't have a problem with it is because the dialogue itself wasn't corny, so the music added to the real emotions (if you know what i mean, again. lol)

so all in all i thoroughly enjoyed this

out of 10 i'd give it about a 9. i can't really think of anything i didn't like

although i do think the bullock/fraser story was a little underdeveloped and lacked the power of some of the others. but still, and i know i keep saying this, it did serve a PURPOSE and helped some of the other stories. so i deduct 1 point! hehe