Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectI didn't really like it
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=24262&mesg_id=24406
24406, I didn't really like it
Posted by Mynoriti, Sun May-15-05 10:02 PM
it has it's share of admirable qualities, and I really wanted to like this movie, but too many nonsensical coincidences ruined it for me. its use of overly dramatic music, and its every-30-second reminder that "this is a movie about race" wore on me after a while as well.

I was willing to give it a pass for the first unlikely coincidence, with the car accident, but after that they just became more frequent, and more ridiculous.

I didn't believe for a second that Terrence Howard's character would do (or even be able to do) what he did. yes, reasons were established that indicated him being pushed towards a breaking point, but I didn't buy the scene at all.

The scene where Larenz and Luda run over the Chinese guy seemed to be in the wrong movie.

I liked the way *some* of the racial situations were handled. for example Philipe's character is established as a level-headed, non-prejudice man of integrity. but when it came down to it, he saw a black man reach in his pocket and panicked. the scene was good (even though it's there to counter the Dillon rescue scene), but for me it was tarnished because I just couldn't get past the improbability of their meeting in the first place. I didn't even believe Philipe's character would've picked up a hitchhiker to begin with.

The only scene I absolutely loved, was the first one between the locksmith and his daughter. I really would've liked to have seen more of his character.

and Matt Dillon's performance was fantastic

but overall I was disappointed.