Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectRE: Such the ironic post.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=24262&mesg_id=24375
24375, RE: Such the ironic post.
Posted by handle, Sat May-14-05 05:12 AM
Explain yourself.

If it's that as a white man I found the white more sympathetic then say it.
I think it's the way THIS FILM was written.

This film tries to tackle delicate subject with a club and bash it for 2 hours.

*I* never had a visceral feeling during this film.

A better film around some of these issues: Do The Right Thing. When Mookie threw the trash-can the theater I was in went so still and quiet I could FEEL it.

This film just had a bunch of "Oh snap, no HE DIDN'T" moments, but all the characters were flawed in ways that seemed cartoonish. and unsympathetic. Tell me you LIKED any of these guys except Daniel.

Daniel was the only character in Crash I liked. And maybe Sandra bullock's Jean may have been on the road to redemption. And Luda, while an idiot, wasn't a monster. He didn't shoot Cameron and he didn't sell the Thai's into slavery.

But only Daniel I liked.

In DTRT when Pino and Mookie were talking it seemed a LOT more honest. when Radio Raheem was beefing with the Koreans it got heated to a point where I could feel both sides, plus it was funny. And the Here's What They Think about you was perfect. It said what people were feeling and gave them a context where they could say it.

DTRT was almost ENTIRELY of unlikable but NOT unsympathetic characters.

Mookie did the WRONG thing. Sal was deeply flawed but not a real bigot. Pino and Vito showed two ways people could go in the same situations. Bugging Out beefed way too much for no good reasons. Maybe Vito was likable.

But I'll remember DTRT long after Crash is forgotten.

I think THIS FILM was not very good. That doesn't mean the issues it tried to raise are trvial, this film jsut didn't raise them in a way that will stay with *me*.