Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectMy thoughts (SPOILERS)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=24262&mesg_id=24349
24349, My thoughts (SPOILERS)
Posted by Mica, Wed May-11-05 03:58 PM
I got a few issues with it:

1) When Don was like "I'm having sex with a white woman...That pisses her off" I thought, once I found out that the mom had bigger problems (drugs, a lost son) that the comment seemed out of place. That type of joke seemed like something that only someone without deeper problems would care about. And since she's doing so badly with life in general, even if it is a joke, it doesn't seem like the thing to say. I understand that that set up the whole argument between Jennifer Epasito and Don, but still.

2) The Iranian dude couldn't really speak English enough throughout the movie, and this fact was even the catalist for the insurance company not covering the break-in (as the Mexican dude told him to change the lock but he didn’t understand) and yet that whole monolouge about the little girl being his angel was pretty damn clear. It bothered me, but I guess that it a minor gripe.

3) LARENZ, DESPITE THE FACT THAT BLACK USUALLY DOESN’T CRACK, DOES NOT LOOK 20. Sorry to yell but I couldn’t get past that. Part of the reason for having so many stars in this movie, aside from the fact that you know the acting will probably be quality, is that some of the fans of the person will go because of that person. Everyone knows Larenz is NOT 20, so why even try it? What’s wrong with him being 25? Sure you lose a bit of the emotional punch, but still.

4) I have issues with the advertising department, as I saw the picture of Thandie and Matt in one of the ads for the movie. I have an issue because I knew that based on the picture (Thandie looking distraught while sorta being held by Matt) there would obviously be a scene in the movie like that, and I knew that Matt and Thandie weren’t a couple so I just watched for that scene. Since that scene was after that otherwise awesome car accident/fire scene, the intensity of the moment was lost as I knew she would survive.

Other than these issues, it is a fantastic film. Best scene to me was the scene between the Mexican guy and his daughter about the invisible cloak thing. It was SO cute and well executed.