Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectCatherine Dent (Danny Sofer) Interview
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=23433&mesg_id=23543
23543, Catherine Dent (Danny Sofer) Interview
Posted by nipsey, Tue Apr-26-05 07:06 PM
http://entertainment.iwon.com/celebgossip/tvginsider/id/04_26_2005_1.html

Shield Star Dishes Close Encounters
by Daniel R. Coleridge

TVGuide.com: Danny's always trying to be understanding of Julian, but he clearly frustrates her.

Catherine Dent: That's a diplomatic way to put it. It's interesting because Michael Jace and I love each other, yet we have to play these conflicted partners. We actually shot this scene last night where we're really upset with other. In our personal lives, we care for each other very deeply. We've been partnered for four years now, so there's definitely a tight bond.

TVG: What's your big conflict nowadays?

Dent: Julian's upset. He's starting to feel like the police property seizures that Capt. Monica Rawling put into place are hurting the community, rather than helping. He has issues with black and Latino people being hurt, because the fictional neighborhood of Farmington, which we police, is predominantly black and Latino. He wants to help the community, and we're at odds about how that should be done. Danny's more pro-Monica . It's frustrating because it's sort of a lose-lose situation. But my husband is a civil rights attorney, so he loves this show because it shows the not-so-great aspects of things.

TVG: How is it "working for" Glenn Close?

Dent: It's fine. She fits right in. It doesn't feel weird. She's just another good player to play with.

TVG: So there's no movie-star diva stuff?

Dent: No, not at all. She sits and plays backgammon in between shots just like we all do. Her daughter's come and hung out on the set. It's very cool. I think people have such a misconception about how actors behave. You hear about divas and tantrums in hotel rooms and things like that, but we're just all working Joes all trying to pay the mortgage and send our kids to school. I hate to dispel the myth!

TVG: People might imagine Glenn Close is scary because she's played formidable women in Fatal Attraction and Dangerous Liaisons...

Dent: ...and Cruella de Vil in 101 Dalmatians! She's thin, petite, fair and blond. She's not this menacing creature! That's all smoke and mirrors and makeup. And she was nervous about coming on this show because we're a tight-knit group. We've been together for four years. That's hard for anybody to step into — I don't care how big your britches are — especially when it's senior year, and you're the new girl coming in as head cheerleader!

TVG: Anything happening with the recurring attraction between Danny and Vic?

Dent: Usually we revisit that once a season. It's kind of this weird tease the writers do where Vic and Danny do this little dance... We've got another little tryst coming up. Danny's clearly lonely.

TVG: So does Vic catch her at a vulnerable moment?

Dent: I don't know that he catches her at a vulnerable moment. It definitely won't be a domestic scene at home, let me put it that way. It's one of The Shield's trademark shockers where it comes out of nowhere. Danny is no shrinking violet.

TVG: Oh, so it's Miss Danny who initiates some action with Vic?

Dent: I think so, yeah.

TVG: Well, Danny's a woman who knows what she wants.

Dent: Exactly, which I think is pretty sexy.

TVG: At least Vic is single now!

Dent: Exactly. My father will have an easier time watching the show. The first season, I heard, "I can't believe you're with a married man." I said, "Daddy, that's not me, that's my character!"

TVG: So where is Danny going in her career?

Dent: Danny would like more action, other than just answering domestic calls where husbands and wives are beating each other up. Supposedly, Danny failed the detective's exam the only time she's taken it. Maybe there'll be an opportunity for her to take it again.

TVG: You had a budding romance with Dutch (Jay Karnes) last season when he was tutoring Danny for that exam. It seemed to fizz out before anything really happened, though.

Dent: Yeah, they do that a lot. They introduce things, drop it and then reintroduce it.

TVG: So were you disappointed you didn't become a couple?

Dent: With Dutch? No! Jay Karnes reminds me so much of my big brother in real life. Every time we started to fake kiss, I would get the giggles because I felt like I was kissing my brother! It was a little too close to home for me.

http://stephenbattorneyatlaw.blogspot.com|My Blog

www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=slbates|My DVDs

XBOX Gamertag: slballer