Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subject?uest Speaks About Magnolia
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=20760
20760, ?uest Speaks About Magnolia
Posted by crgclark, Sat Sep-02-00 04:20 PM
About the post. I agree Magnolia is absolutely magnificent. Which got me thinking, there's not usually posts on movies. Yes I know it's a music board, but c'mon some opinions please. I thought magnolia was terrific, an experience, does any one have any other gems they'd like to share?
20761, Another of ?uest's favorites...
Posted by zero, Sat Sep-02-00 04:24 PM
Rushmore!!!!! I LOVE that movie. Everything about it was brilliant, from acting, to directing to the music...absolutely brilliant! A classic in my opinion. More of a subtlety funny movie than an in your face type of movie, it takes repeat viewings to get everything out of it...

and Magnolia was an amazing movie. Saw it in theaters twice. Aimee Mann's songs were the shit...

AIM name: monkeybars j5 and/or tiiimmmayyyyy

"TIMMMMMMMAAYYYYYY!!!" -Timmy

"Snootchie Bootchies" -Jay (and Silent Bob)

"You pack things into it and you put it on your back" -My brother explaining the origins of the word 'backpack'

20762, RE: Another of ?uest's favorites...
Posted by BrainChild, Sat Sep-02-00 06:15 PM
Loved Magnolia...

hated the shit out of Rushmore.

--me--
"ABORT!!!!!!!" -- Prince '84
20763, RE: Another of ?uest's favorites...
Posted by crgclark, Sat Sep-02-00 06:23 PM
Haven't seen "Rushmore". I agree the soundtrack to Magnolia is good. I like it but I couldn't listen to it full time. Have you seen Ghost Dog? That movie won't be appreciated for years to come. I love how they're always watching cartoon violence, to show how stupid it all is.
20764, RE: Another of ?uest's favorites...
Posted by zero, Sat Sep-02-00 06:41 PM
Nah...I havent seen Ghost Dog yet. Dont have anyone to see it with...plus, it was all out at Blockbuster today. Just saw Cider House Rules. Decent movie. Erkyah did pretty good, and an overall effective piece. and to BrainChild...what didnt you like about Rushmore?

"You pack things into it and you put it on your back" -My brother explaining the origins of the word 'backpack'

20765, RE: Another of ?uest's favorites...
Posted by BrainChild, Sat Sep-02-00 09:03 PM
>and to BrainChild...what didnt you
>like about Rushmore?

it just didn't do anything for me. i usually dig anything Bill Murray is in, but this movie I couldn't stand... I even watched it twice to make sure I didn't miss anything.

--me--
20766, Didnt do anything for you?
Posted by zero, Mon Sep-04-00 02:25 PM
What do you mean by that? The themes of the story? Morals? wasnt funny to you?

Sorry if I get annoying bugging you about this movie, but Im just curious about what you thought about it, since almost everyone I know that saw it liked it a lot.

AIM name: monkeybars j5 / tiiimmmayyyyy

http://www.realized.net/Essay.html / http://www.7moonz.com

20767, RE: Didnt do anything for you?
Posted by BrainChild, Mon Sep-04-00 04:53 PM
i dunno... it just was boring, IMO. it quickly turned into background noise.

--me--
20768, Third Time's a Charm
Posted by Ursus, Mon Oct-02-00 08:45 AM
Cause' that shit is the best movie Bill Murray's been in during the 90's. There's just tons of subtle scenarios and occurences that had me rollin'.
20769, Rushmore
Posted by guest, Mon Sep-18-00 09:49 AM
I just loved that seen where Max is getting out of the elevator in slow motion, like he's some cool mofo in Resevior Dogs, but he's just this geeky kid in thick glasses.

Anyway, I just saw Se7en again last night, for the first time in years. That was a very well put together movie. I forgot how bugged it is though, but really good character development.

My favorite movies? Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead and Chasing Amy.

-Wrongthink

I'm not an idiot...I just look like one.

Shit I've been bumping lately:

MC Paul Barman-It's Very Stimulating
Quannum-Spectrum
Automator-A Much Better Tomorrow
Dilated Peoples-The Platform
Sublime-Sublime
Kevin Quain and the Mad Bastards-Hangover Honeymoon
Jay-Z-Reasonable Doubt

In Particular:

The Entire Album (It's only 18 minutes long)
I Changed My Mind
Sleep
The Expanding Man
Santeria
Hangover Square
Friend or Foe
20770, RE: ?uest Speaks About Magnolia
Posted by Invisible-Genius, Sat Sep-02-00 06:40 PM
I am sorry, but I absolutely hated that movie. I couldn't wait for it to end. Don't dismiss my dislike of the movie for not being deep. I love movies that go beyond superficial meanings, but this movie was so abstract and.... just garbage!!! There were moments in the movie that I was moved. With the wiz kid and I was amused with Tom Cruise's performance. Besides that, the movie was too long, oh, and the ending while original, just was wayyyyy too much. I saw the movie when it first came out in theaters so my details are pretty much forgotten. But don't expect me to go and rent it to familiarize myself with them. Will not waste more money.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You won't see me but you sure as hell gonna hear me.

So you dont' like what I just said? So what? Get over it!!!
20771, RE: ?uest Speaks About Magnolia
Posted by qoolquest, Sun Sep-03-00 01:17 AM
please. rent this film and understand it. pleeeeease. so many hidden answers.

september is paul thomas anderson endorsement month:

"feel feel feel feel feel.......feel my heeee--ee-eeeeat!"
-dirk digler

the answer to magnolia is 82.
20772, Answer to Magnolia is 82...??
Posted by zero, Mon Sep-04-00 06:43 AM
Did I miss something? I know there is a lot of hidden meanings (my cousin said a recurring theme of a certain number...was it 82?) so I guess I better check my brand spankin new DVD edition of it...(yay!!!) Did anyone else find anything? and how did that kid's rap relate to anything?

20773, RE: Answer to Magnolia is 82...??
Posted by albinomexican, Mon Sep-04-00 07:09 AM

this is what i got from the movie:

the numbers '82' are EVERYWHERE throughout the movie.

in exodus 8:2, it rains frogs. now i cant remember the specifics, but it was punishment for something. i dont have a bible with me at college, so see for yourself. if anyone has more, please add to this. aaron.

"we chase for this.......
piece of America's apple pie, but it's tasteless.
Enslave us with minimum wages,
the master of the thirteen stages now illuminated..." - Maximus (Infectious Organisms)

20774, ohh...
Posted by zero, Mon Sep-04-00 07:16 AM
So I guess "82" was the number my cousin was talking about. He said that there was someone holding a sign at the gameshow that the kid was playing on with "8:2" on it.

20775, RE: ohh...
Posted by BrainChild, Mon Sep-04-00 08:09 AM
exodus 8:2

and if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs

i noticed the 82 references from the beginning of the movie on.

the apartment that the kid lives in, the last 2 numbers were 82. the ropes on the roof before he jumped off were coiled into the shape of the number 82.

the shirt of the girl who was in the room with me while we were watching the movie had the number 82 on it in big frickin numbers....

i was waiting for frogs to fall from the sky on my drive home.

now.. anyone wanna tell me why I see the number 666 everywhere I go lately? license plates, phone numbers, purchase totals.....

--me--
20776, RE: ohh...
Posted by albinomexican, Mon Sep-04-00 08:56 AM
there are about 50 more references to the #. watch and just look for it. i did this summer, and it is amazing how they can slip it in there so many times without anyone catching on.
20777, Was watchin the DVD...
Posted by zero, Mon Sep-04-00 09:15 AM
And the Documentary on it is crazy, man! The way they shot the frogs is awesome. Would have never suspected it. I love that movie! Now, I gotta wait for an empty house to watch the movie (My parents wouldnt take too kindly to the language) and catch all those "82"'s

No pussy has 9 lives (c) Frank TJ Mackey

http://www.realized.net/Essay.html

20778, RE: ohh...
Posted by BrainChild, Mon Sep-04-00 10:13 AM
>there are about 50 more references
>to the #. watch
>and just look for it.
> i did this summer,
>and it is amazing how
>they can slip it in
>there so many times without
>anyone catching on.

i noticed a bunch of them... after awhile, it was kind of distracting because i spent more time looking for the 82s than paying attention to the actual story lol

--me--
20779, WHY 82!?! ARGH!
Posted by grannie, Tue Sep-12-00 01:43 AM
OMIGOD! i am really hating this movie now.

what is the significance of 82?
okay
the number on the plane that lifts the scuba diver out of the water, 82

the forensic science convention is scheduled at 8:20pm when that kid jumps off the bldg. to commit suicide

82 is spray painted on the wall that he jumps from

his parents apt number is 682

the black woman whose dead white husband is in her closet; her mug shot number is 08208208208200

the cop whose dating the junkie, his mailbox for his personal ad is 8-2..

is the word "fuck" used 82 times in the film? if not it sure seems like it.

someone in this thread mentioned the frogs and exodus 8:2

why why why why??!?!? why 82?!? *pulling hair from roots*

this film is making me nuts. it should have come with cliff notes.

is anyone else having this kind of trouble with the movie? am i dumb?

September is grannie doesn't remember what september is month.

"Why the hell can't you take a bath?"
-Prince; Cloreen Baconskin
20780, RE: WHY 82!?! ARGH!
Posted by REDeye, Tue Sep-12-00 06:21 AM
>someone in this thread mentioned the
>frogs and exodus 8:2
>
>why why why why??!?!? why 82?!?

You answered your own question regarding the exodus 8:2 and the frogs.

Some people hate the frog scene because it seems to come from nowhere and it is unbelievable.

Some say all the 82s foretell the ending.

Some say the ending intentionally comes from nowhere, tying into the opening sequence about all the other seeming coincidences. There was a story in the news a couple weeks ago abou fish raining down on an inland town after being scooped up in a storm. It happens.

Some say the theme of the movie is that the alienation and lack of connection which we all experience, and which carries through each storyline in the movie, is really what connects us. We are connected by circumstance.

I say you can ruin a good movie, and your life, looking for hidden meanings and connections. You miss a whole lot of the simple enjoyment of the journey by turning it into a big scavenger hunt.

If you really want to understand this movie -- and life -- stop looking for it to make sense, and simply experience it.

RED
20781, Sould have read this first!!
Posted by Vena, Tue Sep-12-00 09:01 AM
Thanks RED!
venaluv@hotmail.com
20782, yeah but
Posted by grannie, Tue Sep-12-00 09:01 AM
this really isn't the kind of film where you can just sit back and enjoy the show.

what was this movie about? just about things that tie us together? coincidences that are more than coincidences? about the number 82?

who the hell is the worm?

i know somebody out there knows what i am trying to say.

20783, RE: yeah but
Posted by Vena, Tue Sep-12-00 09:34 AM
Dont worry Grannie the I can deal with the explanation for the chain of events and Exodus 82 but what about the KID???
venaluv@hotmail.com
20784, RE: yeah but
Posted by Vena, Tue Sep-12-00 09:34 AM
Dont worry Grannie the I can deal with the explanation for the chain of events and Exodus 82 but what about the KID???
venaluv@hotmail.com
20785, must...kill...
Posted by grannie, Tue Sep-12-00 09:36 AM
rapping....delinquint....

20786, LOL........n/m
Posted by Vena, Tue Sep-12-00 09:51 AM
venaluv@hotmail.com
20787, RE: yeah but
Posted by REDeye, Tue Sep-12-00 11:17 AM
>this really isn't the kind of
>film where you can just
>sit back and enjoy the
>show.

I didn't mean "sit back and enjoy it," I meant experience it. Whether your reaction to it is good or bad, you have to absorb it. And you know what? It's okay to not like it. No one is going to think any less of you.

It's great that you and others are trying to understand this movie, but it's not for everyone. My fear is that you are going to finally get answers to all your questions, and you are going to find them wholly unsatisfying. You may then wind up disliking the movie even more.

Understanding all the 82s and deciphering the kid's rap won't change your opinion of this movie, anymore than looking up "triskaidekaphobia" will change your mind about Pharoahe Monche. If you ain't feeling it, you ain't feeling it.

Of all the people finding the hidden symbols and whatnot, I wonder how many had their perception of the movie changed by those discoveries -- I mean, out of the people who didn't see those things the first time.

Those things make the movie cool, fun, complex, and maybe even deep. But by themselves, they don't make it a good movie. Take all the 82 stuff out, remove the kid's rap, (the frogs stay!) and you still have a very moving and richly layered commentary on what it means to be human and need connection when connection is so very difficult.

RED
(It's like a finger point away at the moon -- don't watch the finger or you miss all that heavenly glory. © Bruce Lee, Enter the Dragon)

20788, ??????!
Posted by grannie, Wed Sep-13-00 03:06 AM
man, whutchotalkinbout talking bout?

i am not attempting to like the movie. what i am trying to do is figure out what the sum of all the sybolism/metaphor/innuendo was.

what was the purpose of the movie? who was the worm? what was the significance of the number 82? why not 73 or 44 or something? what, besides 82, ties these people in these stories together? were these things put in the movie simply to distract the viewer from the actual story? what did the opening scene and closing scene, other than highlighting the possibility that there are some things in life that are more than mere coincidence, have to do with the rest of the film? is that it?

whether i like the answer to these questions and other questions is irrelevant. i wanna know what the answer is period.

now i ain't saying that i would not be a little pissed if 3hrs of sitting and thinking about this movie only added up to this: the common thread in each of these people's lives is the number 82, but at least the book would be closed on the subject.

i am the kind of person who does not simply absorb something at face value and leave it at that. i'll leave that to the Germans. i would rather pick it apart, dissect and study it one peice at a time, then put it all together again until i can understand it.

lemme ask you this. did you understand everything in the movie? can you (as they say in grade schools all over the USA) give me your take on the main idea of it? now i know that it could mean one thing to you and another to someone else, but since you claim to have gotten it,
tell me what you thought "it" was.

20789, I'm only trying to help.
Posted by REDeye, Wed Sep-13-00 06:09 AM
My bad. I just think people who are looking for hidden meanings are missing the point. But you have questions, and deserve answers. So I'll try this one more time.

First, a few excerpts from www.ptanderson.com:

---------

Q: The film has obvious biblical overtones, and I noticed in at least a few scenes signs embossed with "Exodus 8:2."

A: Yeah, there's more than that. There's many, many more. I bet you could probably spot a hundred. Exodus 8:2 (describes) the plague of frogs in the Bible. The funny thing is, my reasons for using the plague of frogs aren't exactly biblical. I didn't even know it was in the Bible until after I wrote the script. The rain of frogs is something that really happens. Did you know that? It's a true thing.

Q: So did you go back and include the beacons of Exodus 8:2?

A: No. Right after I got done writing the script I found out it was in the Bible. So then I became very interested in looking at the Bible and figuring out what it meant there. I JUST THOUGHT IT WAS A FUN DIRECTORIAL, BORED-ON-THE-SET THING TO DO, TO PLANT 8:2s ALL OVER THE PLACE. (emphasis mine)

(answering a question about the Worm)
A: Yeah, the worm stuff. There’s sort of, a little bit more of a follow through on the mystery character, who’s in it now.  It’s better to remain sort of a mystery character.  The brown jacket and the little kid (Dixon).  And that stuff is sort of better served as something to truly think about as opposed to something to answer and in an effort to make it more mysterious and make it shorter…I just took it out.

-----------

In light of that, let's recap...

>i am not attempting to like
>the movie. what i am
>trying to do is figure
>out what the sum of
>all the sybolism/metaphor/innuendo was.

There is no sum.

>what was the purpose of the
>movie? who was the worm?
>what was the significance of
>the number 82? why not
>73 or 44 or something?

Once again, the only significance of the 82 is that in Exodus 8:2 says "And if you refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite thy borders with frogs."

The Worm was an actual character, played by Orlando Jones from Mad TV. He was the rapping kids father, and Marcie's son. He killed the guy in the closet, who used to molest him. Most of that was cut out to make it "more mysterious and make it shorter." He wouldn't have cut it out if it was integral to the story.

>what, besides 82, ties these
>people in these stories together?

Once again, IMO, they are connected only by circumstance and coincidence. Some of the characters are really related, like Claudia is the game show host's daughter, but they are not connected in hidden way.

>were these things put in
>the movie simply to distract
>the viewer from the actual
>story?

I'm sure it wasn't done intentionally to distract, but it is distracting and that's why I encourage people to look beyond that stuff. It is all engrossing and very cool, but it potentially robs attention from a very deep and powerful story.

>what did the opening
>scene and closing scene, other
>than highlighting the possibility that
>there are some things in
>life that are more than
>mere coincidence, have to do
>with the rest of the
>film? is that it?

IMO, those scenes say that some things are not more than coincidence, but are ONLY coincidence. Strange things are a part of life. Shit happens. Once again, from PTA:

Q: Of all things, why frogs?

A: It truly came from a slightly gimmicky and exciting place.  I'd read about rains of frogs in the works of Charles Fort (...) So I just started writing it in to the script. It wasn't until after I got through with the writing that I began to discover what it might mean, which is this: you get to a point in your life, and shit is happening, and everything's out of your control, and suddenly, a rain of frogs just makes sense. You're staring at a doctor who is telling you something is wrong, and while we know what it is, we have no way of fixing it.  And you just go: "So what you're telling me, basically, is that it's raining frogs from the sky."

Shit happens, some of it very strange, and there's nothing you can do about it. That is all, and that is a lot, IMO.

>whether i like the answer to
>these questions and other questions
>is irrelevant. i wanna know
>what the answer is period.

I get that. I thought I and others on here had answered the questions, though. I get the impression that you are saying that you don't think these answers are adequate and there must be more. But there isn't.

>now i ain't saying that i
>would not be a little
>pissed if 3hrs of sitting
>and thinking about this movie
>only added up to this:
>the common thread in each
>of these people's lives is
>the number 82, but at
>least the book would be
>closed on the subject.
>
>i am the kind of person
>who does not simply absorb
>something at face value and
>leave it at that.

You cannot absorb something at face value. To absorb it, you must go deeper. All 82s and the frogs -- even the Worm being the killer -- that's all surface stuff.

>lemme ask you this. did you
>understand everything in the movie?
>can you (as they say
>in grade schools all over
>the USA) give me your
>take on the main idea
>of it?

From post #37:
"...the alienation and lack of connection which we all experience, and which carries through each storyline in the movie, is really what connects us. We are connected by circumstance."

From post #47:
"...a richly layered commentary on what it means to be human and need connection when connection is so very difficult."

It's just my opinion, but I got all of that long before I knew 82 referred to Exodus or knew the kid's father was Big Worm, who killed the "long time oppresor" who used to molest him.

If this still isn't enough, check out http://members.tripod.com/magnoliathemovie/main.htm. Go to the discussion section and, under search, put in "worm" or whatever else you're interested in. You'll get a whole lot of posts on various thoughts and theories, including the whole "black kid was an angel" theory which, I think is a stretch in a movie so firmly based in reality.

RED
(really, I'm trying to help)

20790, yeaaaup..
Posted by grannie, Wed Sep-13-00 09:58 AM
you were right. i still don't like the movie.

haha.. but at least i know what's up with the worm. damn. i am never watching that thing again.

20791, Grannie I'm lost than a.....
Posted by Vena, Tue Sep-12-00 08:52 AM
somabich... I went and rented this movie twice... still nothing... I opened my mind...saw all the references to 82 and am still confused... when them frogs came, man I nearly lost my cookies... but here is the biggest questions...What the hell was the lil kid rapping about...and what relevance did it have to the reason the stepdad was killed..??? can anybody help me... I'm willing to rent it again... but give me a clue.... other that 82... thank you.
:) :) :) :) :)

venaluv@hotmail.com
20792, uu are not alooooooone..
Posted by grannie, Tue Sep-12-00 09:23 AM
damn, at least i ain't the only one.
i was thinking i was dumb or something. this movie drove me insane!

i tried to listen to the boy's rap with the closed-caption on and it still didn't make sense to me.
okay, the boy is rapping about someone who is the worm.. maybe the worm is the killer. marcie, the black lady they arrested was asked if her son's name was "worm" plus a cop was talking about how the dead guy and marcie's son were always fighting. whatever, right?

who was the lonely cop chasing when he lost his gun? was THAT the worm?

aw yo. i wish i never saw this movie.
the frogs made me wanna puke, too. especially since when it happened, i had just put a heaping spoonful of Golden Grahams in my mouth. urk!

ain't nobody got no cliff notes?

20793, RE: ?uest Speaks About Magnolia
Posted by guest, Mon Sep-04-00 12:00 PM
Damn, I'm glad that ?uest brought this movie up! I've been feeling that movie for a minute now, but I wasn't sure if I wanted to mention it here. I was actually going to just post up a review of it a couple of weeks ago, but I just never got around to it. Loved it, though! I've been addicted to it lately! Peace, Love, and SOUL!!!
-B
vudu's signature begins here:
------------------------------
"Ignore the ignorant!" Probably said before, but until I'm corrected, -me!

"Bilal WILL be an Okayartist!!" -me

"to aim
is to take oneself too seriously
by focusing without instead of within

re arrange and re member

aim...i am

the right letters are there
it's the wrong composition"
-Saul Williams

20794, Man...
Posted by BigWorm, Mon Sep-04-00 04:00 PM
Damn movie almost made a brutha cry.

Yeah I said it.

Don't laugh.

Y'all mofo's was crying too.

1Love,
BigPerm

In the Deck:

Everything by Terence Trent D'arby

20795, RE: Man...
Posted by koan, Thu Sep-07-00 05:14 AM
almost??? tom cruise had me in tears in that scene with the father... i didn't know that kid could act like that...

...yeah i said it... "in tears"... what!
:-)
-larance

~~~~
support the okayPOETS on the freestyle boards... it's not all about battling...
ww?d
"without awareness, there is no life... only activity"
20796, damn!!
Posted by UrbanCowgRRL, Mon Sep-04-00 08:29 PM
i posted about this on the gd topic...but i saw it and had to marinate on it a bit...didn't hate it...didn't love it....wasn't sure how to feel really....saw it again and the brillance started to hop out in pieces....now i really need to check it....that 82 was interesting..i'm really dumb when it comes to seeing stuff in movies (like quest's post about music fitting the time frame of a movie..and posters from different eras..i don't catch often)..for some reason attention to fine detail in movies pales in comparison to it towards music.

Much love,
Kyle

vinyl junkies/cd confitionados...go here
http://www.recordkingdom.com

"i always tell people that fame is
nothing but a good publicist, while
talent is a genuine article..." ~ Pozi
20797, the Mosaic Magnolia Review *spoilers*
Posted by Mosaic, Tue Sep-05-00 12:52 PM
i thought it was really good overall, but I have to go with what a lot of people have expressed (much better than I could have done, I have to say) and agree that the film was a little too self-indulgent and that PTA could've edited a bunch of stuff out without losing much. I liked a lot the first time (I didn't understand what Kevin Smith and others were saying about it...), but when I tried watching it the second time...it just dragged on and I found myself waiting for things to happen.

yes, I caught all of the 8 and 2 references (the ropes on top of the building {in the beginning stories...where the guy hung himself, I think}, the guy at the taping, the billboards, etc.) and yes, some of it was inspired and even bordered on being brilliant, but I think on seeing it again, it gets bogged down in the length/slow pace and doesn't shine as bright...

also, people have been mentioning the similarities between Magnolia and Robert Altman's jawns (Nashville and...um...some other one..which I can't remember right now)...

the use of Aimee Mann's songs as the basis for the story is great idea, since I dig her songwriting...

actually, this isn't a thorough review as much as just commentary...

(also, I've always thought that "Boogie Nights" was overrated...haven't seen "Hard Eight" though...)

Peace,
Mosaic
mosaic@asu.edu
AIM: TreisDeuce

Go here or I'll get a pirate to spit in your eye! http://www.recordkingdom.com

Celebrating SEPTEMBER as DOOWUTCHYALIKE Month:
Blecch, klugga-foom, and portzebie.

You smell like it.
20798, RE: the Mosaic Magnolia Review *spoilers*
Posted by thebigfunk, Mon Sep-11-00 05:59 PM
>...it just dragged on
>and I found myself waiting
>for things to happen.

>but I think
>on seeing it again, it
>gets bogged down in the
>length/slow pace and doesn't shine
>as bright...
>

Something a lot of people say... I have one phrase: "unity of time and space." You know that shit that the greeks are known for in their theater (although, technically, if you dig in, it's not really present)? Think about Magnolia in that context... suddenly the length and slow pace make sense. And the whole message makes sense. Because it's all bound in this space/time concept... the space, of course, being the "Magnolia St." and the time being fully consistent throughout the movie... blows me away.
-thebigfunk

"Genuine beauty is always quite alarming." - 'The Secret History'

"Aloofness is a cardinal sin in an age when a perplexed humanity eagerly turns to its writers and thinkers, and demands of them attention to, if not the cure of, its woes and wounds..." - Nabokov's "The Real Life Of Sebastian Knight"

20799, What about the music?
Posted by guest, Tue Sep-05-00 12:59 PM
I'm usually not a bit into that wierd folk stuff that that one lady (forgot her name) did for the soundtrack, but it was so fitting for the movie that it just got stuck in my head. That damn "Save Me" song, or whatever it was called, is haunting!And from the coke fiend chick's point of view, as well as just about every other character, it was brilliantly fitting! I loved all of the contradictions in that movie, too. The coke fiend and the police officer falling in love; the child stealing from the woman who tried to commit suicide at the same time that he's dialing 911 for help; The former quiz kid who is now a drunk trying to steal from his former employers. So many little things, so beautifully woven together! Or when they all sing that song! As I said before, haunting! God, that was such a good movie! 82!!!!! I've gotta go buy that! Peace, Love, and SOUL!!!
-B
vudu's signature begins here:
"Ignore the ignorant!" Probably said before, but until I'm corrected, -me!

"to aim

re arrange and re member

aim...i am

-Saul Williams

20800, Aimee Mann
Posted by grannie, Mon Sep-11-00 02:14 AM
she used to be the lead singer of 'til tuesday. i think that even though the movie was so-so to me..i will definitely have to get the soundtrack. i loved the music. the song that played during the credits, "save me", is beautiful, simply beautiful.

20801, RE: Aimee Mann
Posted by janey, Mon Sep-11-00 02:54 PM
Don't neglect her two previous solo albums:

Whatever (93)
I'm With Stupid (95)

I can't listen to her all the time, but there are moments in which only Aimee Mann will do.

Stupid Thing is a classic.

Peace.
20802, who was the murderer
Posted by koan, Thu Sep-07-00 05:18 AM
yo... check out the screenplay (in yer local bookstore or barnes&noble/books-a-million/borders conglomerate) and check that li'l kid's rhyme... he actually does give some important info on who did the caper if you didn' catch it all in the movie...

and if it's worth gettin' hurt then it's worth bringin' the pain in... (somethin, somethin' somethin') the good lord'll bring the rain in...

yo!

-larance

~~~~
support the okayPOETS on the freestyle boards... it's not all about battling...
ww?d
"without awareness, there is no life... only activity"
20803, RE: who was the murderer
Posted by albinomexican, Thu Sep-07-00 05:31 AM
now we are getting to the bottom of this.
20804, i'll check that out again..
Posted by grannie, Mon Sep-11-00 02:52 AM
with the closed-captioning on to see if i can catch whodunit.. i'll confess i did not close enough attention.

20805, right..
Posted by UrbanCowgRRL, Mon Sep-11-00 11:59 AM
and after the kid does his rhyme i believe the next scene is the kid going to the quiz show..and it starts raining...first drizzling..then downpouring....uh huh...

Much love,
Kyle

20806, the worm?
Posted by grannie, Tue Sep-12-00 01:34 AM
god this movie is driving me crazy!

20807, Just another case of that ol' PTA (c) LONS
Posted by REDeye, Thu Sep-07-00 07:44 AM
(or something like that)

Glad to see some people actually liked Magnolia. Most people I know don't have the patience for challenging movies. For all the good stuff in it, I loved it mainly because PTA had the balls to go through the "hollywood" system with that film, warts and all (pun intended). There are flaws in it (some glaring, like the false endings and the heavy-handed stylistic things that take you completely out of the moment), but I forgave them all simply on the filmmaker's audacity and unity of vision. He had something to say and he said it - so few filmmakers have anything to say, even fewer stick with their convictions and survive to see their vision on the screen.

His first film, Hard Eight, is powerful as well, though for different reasons. It's a lot more coherent and focused, though it has a much more limited scope. Sam Jackson is riveting, but the old dude from Magnolia (one of the Philips below) carries the film. He's a quietly powerful actor.

(BTW, what's with all the three named people? Paul Thomas Anderson, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Philip Baker Hall, etc. I thought only serial killers used all three names.)

RED
20808, REDeye expressed...
Posted by Mosaic, Thu Sep-07-00 01:13 PM
>Glad to see some people actually
>liked Magnolia. Most people I
>know don't have the patience
>for challenging movies. For all
>the good stuff in it,
>I loved it mainly because
>PTA had the balls to
>go through the "hollywood" system
>with that film, warts and
>all (pun intended). There are

i remember reading (wish I could remember where) that Francis Ford Coppola had told PTA that (coming off the acclaim of "Boogie Nights") he needed to make the movie that he's always wanted to make now that he had caught people's eyes and the studios would let him do what he wants.

>flaws in it (some glaring,
>like the false endings and
>the heavy-handed stylistic things that
>take you completely out of
>the moment), but I forgave

word to all of this...

>them all simply on the
>filmmaker's audacity and unity of
>vision. He had something to
>say and he said it
>- so few filmmakers have
>anything to say, even fewer
>stick with their convictions and
>survive to see their vision
>on the screen.

Peace,
Mosaic
mosaic@asu.edu
AIM: TreisDeuce

Go here or I'll get a pirate to spit in your eye! http://www.recordkingdom.com

Celebrating SEPTEMBER as DOOWUTCHYALIKE Month:
Blecch, klugga-foom, and portzebie.

You smell like it.
20809, RE: REDeye expressed...
Posted by Yogaflame, Thu Sep-07-00 04:51 PM
I am a film student here in Toronto and I cannot speak more highly of a director than Paul Thomas Anderson. I had the pleasure of interviewing him back in January and he was such a pious individual in regards to filmmaking. Magnolia was a flash of innane brilliance; I liken it to every emotion we as humans have ever experienced in 3 hours. So many cross references and subtexts. Look out for the Masonic imagery, the Biblical references (8:2 Exodus), and listen to Luis Guzman's spiel before the gameshow starts about his knowledge of anything milk and/or baseball-related. The visual aesthetic of the film is gloriius too; Robert Elswit is in my opinion the greatest cinematographer ever. PTA is also a highly intoxicating writer. Although many may pass it off as melodrama, Boogie Nights is just as strong a film as Magnolia in many ways. It is such a poignant tale...when they play the Beach Boys' "God Only Knows" at the last montage, I literally wept, as I did frequently throughout Magnolia.
Please feel free to check out Hard 8 (Sydney) as well. Hopefully some day I too will be in the position where I am making a living out of creating and vegetating my own thoughts onto 35mm strips. And I swear to God, if given the chance, I could work wonders with ?uestlove as an actor.
Anyone who really loves PTA, especially you ?uest since you seemed to grasp the winding subtexts of Magnolia so well, go to egroups.com and sign up for the PT Anderson e-mail group, it is as good as okayplayer boards. Also, www.ptanderson.com, amazing site.

Zachary.
20810, saw it this weekend...
Posted by grannie, Mon Sep-11-00 02:12 AM
it gave me a very intense headache once the frogs started falling from the sky. i was eating a bowl of cereal at the time and.. y'know.
but it was ok.

i guess i am used to films that have more excitement in them so it was hard to stay with it and watch to the end; kinda like reading "beloved" ot "tar baby." not that it was hard to follow, but it just wasn't very engrossing to me.

it was a good bunch of stories about regrets, forgiveness, life-altering decisions, all that. but i have to admit it was not the best movie i'd seen. i would sit thru it again to see if i can get anything else from it, but it is just too long a film for me to do that.

20811, Magnolia is in good company
Posted by thebigfunk, Mon Sep-11-00 06:07 PM
Above, I posted about Magnolia's use of the unity of time and space. Can anyone think of another movie that executed this recently?

Uh, can anyone say Eyes Wide Shut? Easily one of my top ten movies, ever. I've seen it five times now, and I'll easily watch it five more. There is so much in that film that no one wants to grasp... the color motifs, the ambiguities between reality and imagination... it's all so incredible.

And I say Tom Cruise did better in Eyes Wide Shut than he did in Magnolia... but that's opinion.

Those who enjoyed Magnolia, I encourage you to check out Eyes Wide Shut. If you are confused, or just want further reading, check out this excellent site:

http://members.tripod.com/~lovepile/ewsx.html

The critics blasted, I insist they all suck. Big time.

-thebigfunk

"Genuine beauty is always quite alarming." - 'The Secret History'

"Aloofness is a cardinal sin in an age when a perplexed humanity eagerly turns to its writers and thinkers, and demands of them attention to, if not the cure of, its woes and wounds..." - Nabokov's "The Real Life Of Sebastian Knight"

20812, What IIII got from the movie
Posted by guest, Tue Sep-12-00 10:24 AM
alright, i saw the movie this weekend...twice...and i LOVED it...a lot

well...let me tell you waht the kid's rap is, I, too, put it on closedcaptioning and just typed it up:

Prescence/
with the double-ass meaning gifts I bestow/
with my riff and my flow, but you don't hear me though/
think fast, catch me yo/
cause I throw what I know with resonance/
for your trouble-ass fiend in weening yourself off the back of the shelf/
jackass, crackers, bodystackers/
dick tootin' niggers, masturbating your trigger/
(cop stops him for cussing)

living to get older with a chip on your shoulder/
except you think you got a grip/
because your hip got a holster/
ain't no confessor, so busta- shut the fuck up/ try to listen and learn/
(cop stops him for cussing again)

check that ego, come off it, I'm the prophet/
the profesor, I'ma teach you about the worm/
who eventually turned to catch wreck, with the neck of a long time oppressor/
and he's running from the devil, but the debt is gaining/
and he's worth being hurt, he's worth bringing pain in/
when the sunshine don't work, the lord will bring the rain in

alllright...i don't completely understand what the eff the kid is talking about...but there are some things about it that are important

1) the reference to the worm...i'm kinda stumped on the whole "worm" thing and why the guy's known as the worm...BUT...there are about two dialog references to "the" or "a" worm...THEN the donnie smith dude orders a tequilla...worm being in tequilla...now...again..i really don't know what this means...but it's another connection...like all these people are connected in manyyy ways in the movie and they all paralleleach other in one way

2) "the lord'll bring the rain in..."...obviously foreshadowing the frogs, again

3) "i'm the prophet"...this PROVES the kid WAS AN ANGEL (or some higher being)...i don't know if anybody else brought this up...but...the kid was an angel...
explanation: the whole time during his rap, the cop kept stopping the kid because of his cussing...the cop wasn't even actually listening to the kid's rap...at the end he's like "yeah...ok...whatever that means"...alright...(getting to point)...when the cop loses his gun...the kid took it...it wasn't till the cop lost his gun and connected with that girl that everybody goes through embarrassment and ishness (i hope somebody understands what the eff i'm saying...and that i'm not 100% wrong)...
alright...then after the frogs rained the cop actually started LISTENING to what people were saying...that's where the donnie smith guy comes in...he actually listened to him...instead of arresting him, he realizes everybody makes mistakes and allows the guy to go back and put the money back...THAT'S WHEN THE GUN FALLS FROM THE SKY...the KID dropped the gun...it could sound outrageous...but...that's what i'm getting from the movie and it makes sense...and yes, the kid DID steal something from the lady...could go along with the whole we all make mistakes thing

alright...i have more thoughts about this movie...but...this post is already long enough...so...the end

20813, Whoa!!!
Posted by guest, Tue Sep-12-00 12:20 PM
Way to analyze things!! After reading that last verse, I was gonna say, "Oh, it's obvious that the kid is the worm, and he's talking about himself. The dead man was his oppressor, yadd-e-dadd," and some other ish. But then I read your explaination, and it totally makes sense. Another thing supporting his role as an angel might possibly be how he just happened to find the woman who tried to commit suicide just in time to save her life. Although I would like to say that this is the solid explaination and that's it, I think that one of the main points of brilliance concerning this movie is that there is no solid explaination for it. It's one of those amazing pieces of art that people can draw any number of reasons for the occurances, which can actually make the story very personal for some people. Just amazing! Piece, Love, and SOUL!!!
-B

sigs:
"It's deep soul, deep church, spiritual roots and deep jazz... I just go as far as I can inside and I bring it out. The thing the church showed me was conviction. DMX rhymes with conviction. Soul is honesty." Bilal, on his music.

"to aim

re arrange and re member

aim...i am

-Saul Williams

20814, RE: Whoa!!!
Posted by Yogaflame, Tue Sep-12-00 01:48 PM
The Worm:

The character of the Worm was originally written to have a much larger part in the film. The Worm, whose full name in the film is Jerome Samuel Hall, is the son of Marcie who John C. Reilly arrests in the beginning. The kid Dixon that raps is the Worm's son. That figure in the rain who John C. Reilly sees is the Worm. The man in Marcie's closet is Porter Parker, Marcie's husband and the Worm's step-father. The Worm was the one who killed the white man who actually is the "long time opressor" Dixon raps about. The Worm is played by Orlando Jones of the Replacements and Mad TV fame. He is thanked in the credits unlike the other actors, and PTA resents not being able to give him a larger role.

Other things of note:

When Claudia is in her apartment sniffing coke off what seems to be a book, she is actually snorting right off the CD case of an Aimee Mann release.

Besides the 8:2 images, look for the Masonic imagery in the film. In the backlit section of the game show behind Stanley, there is a series of icons, one of them being the compass that represents Freemasonry. When we see Burt (ricky Jay, the big fat bearded guy) put his hand on Jimmy Gator's shoulder we see a Masonic emblem in his ring. Also, one of the books on the table in the library with Stanley is a book on Freemasonry.

The bar that Donnie goes into is called the Smiling Peanut. In Boogie Nights, the bar where Reed Rothchild performed his magic was called the Smiling Peanut.

When John C. Reilly is with Claudia in the apartment he says something about receiving a "422" call on his radio. Add 4 + 2 + 2 it equals 8. Divide 8 by 4 and you 2; 8:2! (?)

In Boogie Nights Dirk Diggler played by Mark Wahlberg is from Torrence, CA. In Three Kings, Mark Wahlberg's character is shown working at a carpet (?) store in Torrence, CA. Could it be that Dirk cleaned up, left the porno biz and joined the army for Desert Storm and is now working in his home town of Torrence, CA????????

In Boogie Nights, there are three characters of interest: Rahad's bodygaurd played by B. Philly Johnson, the Colonel's bitch in prison played by Goliath, and chinese Cosmo played by Joe GM Chan.
I looked these cats up and Boogie Nights is the only movie they have everbeen in. Apparently PTA picked them off Sunset Blvd...they were all gigilos working the same block or something.

In MAgnolia, they use REAL phone numbers not 555 bullshite. I forget most, but one them is 818-753-0088. I called one once, and it was Fiona Apple's voice saying "leave a message for Fiona", she is afterall, PTA's girlfriend.

Dirk Diggler's classic "You Got The Touch" is actually from the 1985 Transformers movie. PTA got the rights to have it in Boogie Nights.

Also, Cruise has a massive weiner and so does Wahlberg....and both are fake.

I have much more to dispell, but I am tired of typing. BTW, I MET PHILIP SEYMOUR HOFFMAN ON FRIDAY AT THE TORONTO FILM FEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HE IS THE SHIT!

Zachary.

"That's not an MP, that's a YP -- Your PROBLEM"

"No need for braces Donnie"

Jack:
"I'm not going to shoot you in the state you're in"

Dirk:
"Whddya mean state? State of California????"

#'s, Trrence 3 king, bphillygoliath, masonic, ock
smilingopenut, 422 suicide call police
20815, RE: Whoa!!!
Posted by albinomexican, Tue Sep-12-00 03:45 PM
you are the man.
20816, RE: Whoa!!!
Posted by Yogaflame, Tue Sep-12-00 04:27 PM
Also Anderson's production company is called Ghoulardi, named after a character his father played on late night horror show circa 1960's Cleveland.

In Hard Eight, when John C. Reilly has the flashback about the matches just bursting into flames in his pocket, the old man and the young blonde girl in line behind him are PTA's late father Ernie and his ex-girlfriend respectively.

In Hard 8, Boogie Nights, and Magnolia the same strip of music is played in each one. It is a Michael Penn composition. It is most prevelant in Boogie Nights where roller girl is smashing the guy's face with her skates outside the limo.

PTA's original choice for Dirk Diggler was..........Leo DiCaprio!???!!!!?!?!?!?!? That would've sucked meat.

The paintings on the wall of Claudia's apartment are done by Melora Walters and Fiona Apple.

The record exec in BN and the program booth director in Magnolia are both played by Robert Downey Sr, who in my estimation is a flawless god.

The scene with Cosmo and the firecrackers is loosely based on a scene in Downey Sr's Putney Swope, a must see for anyone remotely interested in the wobbly scales of racial harmony.

When asked how he could write such realistic dialogue when his actors are doing coke, PTA replied: "Well, I think the fact that I used to do tonnes of cocaine each and every day helped out."

Apparently, and I swear on my mother, PTA plans to cast Adam Sandler as his next lead in a very dramatic role. Believe it, Tarantino has already cast him in a war epic he is starting.

Plus, anyone ever see the SNL skit with Ben Affleck that is a takeoff on MTV's Fanatic? It stars Molly Shannon as Anna Nicole Smith and she constantly says: "Get out of my hairspace!" Well, this gem was directed by PTA as well.

I so fucking hope he brings back Don Cheadle and Thomas "Todd Parker" Jane for his next fliccccccc.

You just know I got more....a boy can only sit in front of a komputer for so long.

Zachary.

KNICKS RULE ***********

"Let's all get homeless"
- Jean-Michel Basquiat.

"Thought I was a donut; you tried to glaze me" - Rakim.

20817, RE: Whoa!!!
Posted by guest, Tue Sep-12-00 06:09 PM
yogaflame, you are friggin' amazing!! I look forward to hearing more of your knowledge, n/m? Thanks for all of that! Peace, Love, and SOUL!!!
-B

sigs:
"It's deep soul, deep church, spiritual roots and deep jazz... I just go as far as I can inside and I bring it out. The thing the church showed me was conviction. DMX rhymes with conviction. Soul is honesty." Bilal, on his music.

"to aim

re arrange and re member

aim...i am

-Saul Williams

20818, RE: Whoa!!!
Posted by Yogaflame, Thu Sep-14-00 05:28 PM
Okay, okay, alright. I think I've cracked PTA's proverbial safe of conceptualization.

I was sitting in one of my production classes to day just totally spacing out when I thought of the number 82 and PTA's films.

I was shocked to see that this actually works, but I hope you are all as dumbfounded and mesmerized as I was when I came to this discovery. Here it goes:

A list of all of PTA's films; ALL OF THEM:

1. THE DIRK DIGGLER STORY.
2. CIGARETTES AND COFFEE.
3. HARD EIGHT.
4. BOOGIE NIGHTS.
5. FLAGPOLE SPECIAL.
6. MAGNOLIA.

Well, I added all the letters up and guess what they total????? 82!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 = 19
2 = 19
3 = 9
4 = 12
5 = 15
6 = 8

+19
+ 9
+12
+15
+ 8 = 82

Thank you folks....

Zachary.

On ?uest's PTA tip:

PTA Month:

"No need for braces Donnie." - Avi Soloman. Magnolia.

"Whaddya mean state? State of California?" - Dirk Diggler. Boogie Nights.

"I know three kinds of karate: jiu-jitsu, kung-fu and regular karate." Hard Eight.

"Introduce her to my lap." Todd Parker (!) Boogie Nights.
20819, RE: Whoa!!!
Posted by guest, Thu Sep-14-00 05:47 PM
As I said, friggin' amazing!! Whoa, I'm dumbfounded! ..................Okay, what inspired you to add up the letters? Man... I don't even know what to say. Genius, man, pure genius. We need to talk sometime. That's crazy. Peace, Much Love, and SOUL!!!
-B

sigs:

"to aim

re arrange and re member

aim...i am

-Saul Williams

20820, RE: Whoa!!!
Posted by Yogaflame, Thu Sep-14-00 06:07 PM

Also, at the end of the credits in What Do Kids Know? There is a website www.wdkk.com
I typed it in and it led me to the Magnolia site.
Same with www.seduceanddestroy.com and www.tameher.com

I think ?uest and all the okayplayers should get their asses up here to Toronto and I will rent out one of the screening rooms at my university and we will all have a big PTA fest with some Hal Ashby flicks (Harold and Maude. BEing There. Both I HIGHLY reccomend), some Eisenstein, little Michael Snow, Scorsese, and some old Abbott and Costello movies thrown in for good measure. I'll bring the mushrooms, you bring the magic.

Out like a pink maggot...

Zach.

KNICKS RULE ***********

"Let's all get homeless"
- Jean-Michel Basquiat.

"Thought I was a donut; you tried to glaze me" - Rakim.

20821, RE: Whoa!!!
Posted by guest, Thu Sep-14-00 06:25 PM
With that line-up, I'm thinking I need to be there, too! Peace, Love, and SOUL!!!
-B

sigs:

"to aim

re arrange and re member

aim...i am

-Saul Williams

20822, RE: Whoa!!!
Posted by Yogaflame, Fri Sep-15-00 05:27 AM
Also in Hard Eight Samuel L. Jackson says something to the effect of knowing all the old guys; Floyd Gondolli, Jimmy Gator and Mumbles O'Malley.

Well, in Boogie Nights we met Floyd Gondolli and in Magnolia we met Jimmy Gator both played by Phillip Baker Hall. I wonder if he'll play Mumbles O'Malley sometime in the near future????

BTW Vudu, thanks for all the nice gestures are you a film student???

Z.

PS - The Colorado Rockies suck shit.
20823, damn man..
Posted by UrbanCowgRRL, Tue Sep-12-00 06:26 PM
scuse my not knowing..

film major i suppose?

tell me u REALLY found this shit in the movie..or probably talked it over some almonds..and not offa website..

no i think ure really that good :-)thanks

Much love,
Kyle

20824, don't beat me......
Posted by okaymattd, Tue Sep-12-00 04:07 PM
what is magnolia about why didn't i hear about it, i'll go rent it this weekend, hook up info, peace.

Proud member of S.P.A.S.(skinny peeps are sexy) BEeeeeeeATCH!!!!!!

M.W.S. intern, I AM PLATINUM PIMPIN, uh.... check that okayplayer fund y'all, hit me on AIM, okaymattd, peace.
20825, noooooooooo!!!
Posted by grannie, Fri Sep-15-00 02:17 AM
*holding you back*
DON'T DO IT! NO!

*letting go*
alright, go ahead. in fact, i wish i'd read this post and got a few people's point of view before seeing it myself, maybe it wouldn't have made me so crazy.

i STILL can't say if i liked ot or not. i am leaning towards not.

be sure to tell us what you thought after you see it.

20826, i didn't get this movie
Posted by fire, Mon Oct-02-00 05:13 AM
at all!

Here's the fire take a chew-stevie wonder

LOVE 40!
For a lingustic ballistic lobotomyMind-fuckin you, a psycho-sodomy
of the medula oblongataAccept your mind down your spine and out your behind
Fuck you
somebody let me hold a #2 pencil cuz dey testin!-andre benjamin :D
i need a nigga w/some wool on his scalp -sonyasimone on y she & rick fox would never work
STANKONIA'S COMING!!!!!!!!!:o:o:o
blackisblackisblackisblackisblackisblackisblack!
"Pullin ya card and sayin 'Gin!' muthafucka! Flowin like liquid, SOAK IT IN, muthafucka!"- © Xzibit via MIL
no disrespect to the trailer park-nu shooz
http://www.outkast.com/
Can't have any tears creeping out from those lovely long lashes, can we sizzlechest?-nonseq stalking common

20827, another gem
Posted by shiloh, Mon Oct-02-00 08:24 AM
the Five Senses--go find it. it should still be playing at your local arthouse.
20828, RE: ?uest Speaks About Magnolia
Posted by sjb, Thu Oct-05-00 08:17 AM
Ok, I read all thes posts, and I still have one question.

What is the significance of the title? Magnolia?

"Deuce-One, Ball for fifty, like Larry Hughes"
-B. Sigel
20829, RE: ?uest Speaks About Magnolia
Posted by jigga, Thu Oct-05-00 10:48 AM
I'll definitly be checking this movie out after seeing how involved so many of you are regarding the flick. When it 1st came out I was like man I aint sittin thru no 3hour movie I dont care how good it is. But after watching Braveheart and Saving Private Ryan I know I cant use that excuse any more or I'll miss out on some great flicks. If you guys really want 2 get into a movie that can inspire endless discussion afterwards. I think theres nothing better than Fight Club. Check it out on DVD if you can and hit me up on another post so we can discuss. Seriously thought provoking. Another good flick 2 check out is Boiler Room if you're a fan of good dialouge. I also thought Rushmore was a great flick as well

I'll battle you in the flesh, I'll battle you on the net, I'll battle you over the phone, you can call me collect -Canibus

I'm still official, (why) cuz I'm on a roll like toilet tissue -Ras Kass

Some think I'm clever, others think I'm the one who makes too many references 2 weather...or not. -Evidence of Dialated Peoples

They never know we enemies until they hear me say it, till their kids on the phone sayin please Daddy pay it, till their brains on the floor, mixed on the pavement. -Nas

Blow you off the atlas, as if, I caught you fuckin my wife, on my thousand dollar mattress. -Havoc of Mobb Deep

I stand out like a nigga on a hockey team...I'm Nestle when its crunch time...Weight on my shoulder, flucuates like Oprah, my refridgerator poetry's magnetic like Ultra, you could'nt hang if you was a poster. -Common

20830, RE: the title Magnolia
Posted by REDeye, Thu Oct-05-00 11:05 AM
From www.ptanderson.com:

The Meaning of Magnolia

There has been much debate over the title of the film & PTA has said repeatedly that it should be left up to your interpretation (along with the Frog Sequence & many other elements of the film). There are many Magnolia flowers (or paintings) scattered throughout the film. Here are Paul's comments on this topic:

"I always had the title of Magnolia in my head even before I wrote it," says Anderson. And the a couple of weird things stared to happen that verified the title for me. I did some research on the Magnolia flower. There's a concept that if you eat the bark from the Magnolia tree it can help cure cancer.

"There's no reference to it in the film," Anderson says in an interview with the online entertainment website, Mr. Showbiz.

"It's many different things: It's a street in the Valley. It's a flower."

Perhaps more tellingly, most of the women in the film have flower names, like Lily and Rose, but Anderson told Mr. Showbiz that if any of the characters represents "Magnolia," it is Claudia, the coke-fried basket case movingly portrayed by Melora Walters.

A key phrase that gets repeated throughout the film -- "we may be through with the past, but the past isn't through with us" -- is at the heart of the film's meaning, Anderson told Mr. Showbiz.

RED
(support GOOD film, not just black film)

20831, RE: the title Magnolia
Posted by Yogaflame, Sun Oct-08-00 10:56 AM
Here's the latest word on PTA's new film: It is said to be a 90 minute romantic comedy of sorts starring PTA's regular cavalry of actors and a few new ones too. These few new ones are in fact Adam Sandler, Sean Penn, and the incredible Emily Watson.
I wait anxiously for its release.

BTW: The 5 Senses is a great film and the director, Jeremy Podeswa, is coming to lecture my class next month.

Just saw Dancer In The Dark and might I say it was like Alphaville-meets-The Lords Of Flatbush-meets-Mississippi Mermaid- meets-any Lubitsch film-meets-Laverne & Shirley-meets-Jonas Mekas' Prison-meets-Whale Music-meets-Singin In The Rain-meets-Sergei Eisenstein's Potemkin. I absolutley adored this film, it changed me in similar ways that Magnolia itself did. I highly reccommend it to anyone remotely interested in the more humane aspects of life. Bjork is an incomparable artist, there are few musicians let alone actors that swim on her level, she's like some tree sprite who sprinkles gold dust on children's faces in some icy fjord in the North Pole. She has the face of an Eskimo Pie. Someone should weld a magnificient crown for her.

Plus, I implore you all to see as many Hal Ashby films as possible: Start with Harold and Maude, then his best-Being There with Peter Sellars, Shampoo, The Last Detail, etc.

Zachary

"Let's all get homeless"
- Jean-Michel Basquiat.

20832, PTA likes Adam Sandler
Posted by REDeye, Mon Oct-09-00 07:59 AM
Apparently he is a great admirer of Adam Sandler. Go figure.

PTA had never written any comedy, though. So last season, he did a stint on Saturday Night Live writing skits and honing his funny bone.

I don't know which episodes or skits he wrote though.

RED
(dying is easy, comedy is hard © can't remember)
20833, upupup for fire
Posted by guest, Tue Oct-24-00 10:37 AM