Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectTechnical review and more.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=20613&mesg_id=20700
20700, Technical review and more.
Posted by REDeye, Wed Oct-25-00 07:43 PM
First, the technical part.

>Bamboozled might be a technical breakthrough,
>being shot digitally.

I got into it on the boards a bit ago about, among other things, whether or not using digital video was enough to make a project cutting edge. I hadn't seen the movie yet. Now I can honestly say this is technically the worst digital film I have seen. Someone should have told Spike shooting on video doesn't mean you don't have to light it. DV is unforgiving in low light. I am unforgiving of filmmakers (and DPs) who don't know this.

And now, on to the substance...

>Normally I would recommend a movie
>based on how much I
>think one would enjoy
>it. This film, being what
>it is, deserves something more.
> Bamboozled should
>be seen by those who will
>love it because they will
>love it, and by those
>who
>will hate it ... because they
>will hate it. It
>should be seen to initiate
>
>and promote discussion of the entertainment
>industry, past and present.
>
>As a movie, I give Bamboozled
>a B. But, I
>also give it my absolute
>highest
>recommendation. I believe that everyone
>who has a chance should
>see this
>one.

This all sums up my feelings about the movie. I've been struggling with what to say here about it. I have all kinds of problems with the movie, but the subject matter is too important for people to pass up - no matter how much you think you know about black history or entertainment history. It's about the dialogue. Even the people on here who are upset with the movie (FreeHuey, for one) are making a solid contribution to the dialogue.

For once, Spike has made a movie that actually sparks all the conversations he's tried to spark with Jungle Fever, School Daze, and even Do the Right Thing. Regardless of the quality of the film, people are talking. (Hell, he's even gotten a TV deal out of it.)

Though I'd probably only give it C or C+, I still consider it a must-see.

RED

Blackface is soooo last millennium.