Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjecton the mission to educate...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=20613&mesg_id=20694
20694, on the mission to educate...
Posted by teapoetess, Sun Oct-22-00 12:45 PM
i think it's great that spike lee decided to use this movie to educate those who didn't know about black-face and the depth of racist images on television. no one's knocking that, and i do believe that it was effective in showing that.

however, for him to have stressed "satire" (its definition, how it was supposed to have operated with the minstrel show and in the film itself), he fell short. all he did was show what happened. he didn't effectively satirize the minstrelsy of now.

wasn't there room within this flick to have multilateral references and messages? the use of blackface and the montage at the end, and the menagerie of paraphrenalia in damon's office as the film progressed... it was like he did beat the viewer over the head with history... but failed to connect the history to now. he educate those who didn't know and reiterated for those who already did.

i'm just saying that for those of us who already did, there should've been more of a reward.