Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectMESSAGE!!
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=20613&mesg_id=20672
20672, MESSAGE!!
Posted by paragon216, Mon Oct-23-00 04:44 PM
damn, i didn't get to read all the posts, but i gotta bounce soon so here goes...

being in the industry, the movie had a different effect on me..mainly cause i know that shit could happen for real...most don't know the pressure of being Black in the industry...you are in a constant dog-eat-dog battle to come out with the most "next, edgy, keep-it-real, sexy, adult, smash-hit-that'll have everybody talkin', from a nigga on the street perspective"..
you gotta compete with the sopranos and survivor godammit!...so i know that had someone come up with the idea of a "millenium-minstrel-show" at bet niggas woulda jumped on it...and most of y'all would be watchin' it...

sittin in that theatre many of us were forced to examine our contributions to the modern minstrel show, from the videos to the cigarette ads to the malt liquor commercials....my heart sank --thinkin' about what i may have contributed...tv execs spend so much time going over possibilities everthing has a 50/50 chance...how close is cita to mantan, let's be real...

the movie did have some corny shit and all the hype made me think it was gonna be sooooo edgy....i was let down, but taking our reality into account, how can i be disappointed?

this wasn't an aftreschool special...it's close to the story of my life (with the exception of the shakespearian tragedy type ending i think spike went for)...

i think the idea was for us to draw our own conclusions...spike didn't need to name names cause we're all guilty...

if you're still walking around with an africa medallion on it might have gone over your head but i think joe average was edutained..

i think the mau-mau characters were aimed at gangsta rappers and violence not their pro-black counterparts...it was meant to be
ironical...duh!

take a chill pill huey damn!