Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjecti wholeheartedly disagree
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=20613&mesg_id=20646
20646, i wholeheartedly disagree
Posted by BooDaah, Wed Oct-18-00 09:20 AM
i had written a point for point rebuttal, but decided against posting it.

instead I will say that I think this was Lee's attempt at bringing forth an issue that has remained relatively -- out loud, on screen anyway -- unspoken in today's Hollywood (the perpetuation of stereotypes and the part we have in allowing pop culture to proliferate them).

while Mr.Lee COULD have done several things differently I applaud him for having the guts to use his pull to get this concept on the screen because very few in Hollywood are willing to put themselves on the line in this way.

I saw the movie and liked it VERY much.

I don't think the characters are anymore "2-D" than the ones in Mr. MacGruder's very own comic strip. It would be easy to read and say "What's that kid so mad about and why he gotta have a big 'fro?", or "is he trying to say that all biracial people are vapid and their black parents some kind of sellouts?", or even "why the younger brother have to wanna be some kind of thug? what's he trying to say about younger briothers?" This isn't a personal attack on Bro. MacGruder OR his strip because I've told him to his face how much I admire his work. Moreso, I'm trying to say that in both cases (Boondocks and Bamboozled) the characters and the ways they are presented are at the discretion of the author to create and divulge, for whatever purposes they choose, in an effort to get their point across.

Regarding the quality of the writing, I saw it with a professional, published screenwriting and novelist friend of mine (who nitpicks everything) and he had no problem with it.

More than anything, I don't this this movie (as with most of Spike's "Joints") doesn't pretend to be the be all end all on the subject, nor does it profess to fully encompass the realities of this world. Instead, I think this movie is intending to put a bug in your head and to spark dialog. I think it does that.

I admire Bro. MacGruder's work, and believe that he is entitled to making his opinion known, it is ALSO my hope that folk will support this movie, make their own judgement and really take a good look at the reality of the idea that in very real ways we allow and assist in the propogation of these type of images.

My advice: See for yourself.