Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectRE: Things that make u go hmmm
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=20613&mesg_id=20619
20619, RE: Things that make u go hmmm
Posted by misteranonymity, Wed Oct-11-00 04:36 PM
Yes, it is ironic that Spike Lee directed "Bamboozled" and "The Original Kings of Comedy", but it's an irony that works to the film's advantage, even though I have yet to see the film(not in LA or NY, but a couple of hours away from Chicago, but who has the time?). It shows that Spike Lee, and even ourselves, are fans of Black entertainment, but sometimes we have to look critically at what we like, despite how funny it is, or how bangin' the beat may be, or how cold it was when dude and them niggas got shot and flew up in the air and shit, and them niggas was all like (you understand what I'm saying)?

As a matter of fact, when "Bamboozled" finally comes to my town, I plan on writing an essay on the irony that lies behind Spike directing these two films. Some of the issues that I wish to discuss in the essay is how "Kings" is a live concert that follows in the tradition of concert films starring Richard Pryor, Eddie Murphy, and Martin Lawrence. It also features four prominent Black comics, three of whom are on sitcoms on UPN and the WB network (insert satirical acronym here). With "Bamboozled", I wish to discuss how some of the actors in the film are actually comics and how some of them have been on television, such as Damon Wayans, Jada Pinkett-Smith, Tommy Davidson, and Paul Mooney. A couple of other things I want to look into are the use of Savion Glover, and how his status as a tap dancer brings back the questionable spectacle of Black dance performers in films of the '30s and '40s. Plus, I want to discuss how both of these films were shot on digital video, and how this plays a role in updating the concert film and the "new millennium minstrel show".

Just a thought, albeit a long winded one

P.S. While I have yet to see the movie, I did pick up the soundtrack. Peep that "The Light" remix with Common and Erykah, for real, plus the remake of "Burned Hollywood Burned" with The Roots, Chuck D, and Zack from RATM, not to mention Erykah's joint "Hollywood" (speaking of which, I could include a discussion of the soundtracks from each film!!!!)