Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectRE: The Producers
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=19574&mesg_id=19603
19603, RE: The Producers
Posted by REDeye, Sun May-13-01 09:04 AM
The movie is certified classic, the play is already out and just broke the record for Tony nominations with 15. It's apparently sold out through 2002.

Mel Brooks is a genius.

I never thought about the similarities before, but they certainly are some. In all the interviews with Spike or the reviews I've read of the movie, I don't think I caught mention of The Producers being an influence. I could have missed it, but even so, it hasn't been played up.

An astute observation, my friend. Especially since you haven't even seen the Mel Brooks movie. Rent it and let me know what you think of it and how it relates to Spike's movie. I'd be interested in your opinion on the starical handling of potentially inflammatory material. (To be fair, Brooks' movie is a straight comedy and doesn't really pretend to make a statement about racism or the entertainment industry.)

But, man, those goose-stepping Nazis belting out show tunes is hi-effing-larious.

RED

"Sounds like Zen," I said. "Interesting
enough in itself as a system of
thought, but not much
good for explaining anything."
© Haruki Murakami, The Wind-Up
Bird Chronicle.