Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectRE: Bamboozled's NEW Ending
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=19574&mesg_id=19592
19592, RE: Bamboozled's NEW Ending
Posted by BigReg, Thu May-10-01 11:24 AM

If some of the principle players died, I would have understood, but they damn well practically killed off ALL the major characters...

Mau Mau's
What I would have changed would have been Mau Mau violent turn.It just didnt seem that believable to me that Mau Mau's would pull that whole stunt off(live on tv, evading cops, yet having them show up convienently to kill them off at the end), and the police brutality aside that he threw in the end of the scene kinda seemed corny to me(almost as if he threw it in there as a joke because of his past films). Id take out the Mau Mau's kidnap segment, or would have let them kidnap him and leave it at that.

Mau Mau
Their half pro black, half self destruct characters that they portrayed made a good statement about alot of pseudo-politicians and activists. Didnt make for good characters though. Id try to explore that more, actually have one of them try to explain off their pro-black stance while drinking 40's etc.

De La Croix
Damon's character I thought was heavily flawed period. His accent was just BAD, and did not help the film at all. If it ws supposed to be a running joke, it wasnt worth it because it made him less valid a character more of a cartoon. If you gave the character more realistic buppie assimilationist values, explored his relationship more with his pops(its a shamed they didnt use Paul Mooney more), then he would have been a sympathetic character. And that would have made his mistakes more hard hitting and also the message deeper(imagine if we could see images of ourselves in De La, how much harder hitting the film would have been).

Jada
She wasn't that bad except for turning homicidal towards the end. Her duality could have been explored more since she was the once with the conscience about what the show would mean to society at large, there would definatly have been some struggle of being successful vs. how you get there.

Man-Tan
Him and Tommy Davidson's characters I thought were pretty good. Here I wouldnt have changed much, hrm, maybe I might have taken out love triangle between him/jada/de la. With all that insanity going around them, that little 15 minute segment of the movie about who fucked who when seemed out of place.

Overall I would have made sure they were all scarred as fuck. Id prob let De La live, but made him a shadow of himself(poor, druggie, whatever...aftereffects of dealing with what he helped create). Man-Tan would also learn a harsh lesson about ends verses means, I dont think id kill him off though. Id take out Man-tans death, Mau Mau's massacre, and jada shooting Damon. Id also take out the love triangle, and id focus more on Damon and Mooney.