Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectIt wasn't the ending itself
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=19574&mesg_id=19580
19580, It wasn't the ending itself
Posted by REDeye, Wed May-09-01 09:03 PM
It's that it came from out of nowhere. He should have set it up properly. He's been doing this too long to not understand the technique of setup and payoff.

As I mentioned in a different thread, think of the movie NETWORK. Spike says that was an inspiration, and points out that that movie ends in a televised shooting, as if that justifies what he was trying to do. But NETWORK starts off with that guy getting fired, and then announcing that he will kill himself in his last telecast. Ratings saves him as everyone tunes in to see what the "Madman of the Airwaves" will do next. He stays alive as long as the ratings stay up. Meanwhile, the revolutionaries get their own show, and they are robbing banks live on TV, adding to the absurdity. But the hoopla starts to die down, the mania gets out of hand, and while it may not have been predictable, it certianly fits into the picture when an assassin kills the guy at the end.

Spike has no set up. Absolutely nothing in the movie explains or justifies the violent ending of the movie. Nothing. It comes from out the blue, and he asks us to accept it just because these people have sinned and they are guilty and they need to pay. Whatever. Perhaps they do. But nothing in the movie says that the people will turn to violence. Here, I speaking mainly about Jada's character, but even the Mau Mau's shooting is ham-fisted.

RED

"Sounds like Zen," I said. "Interesting
enough in itself as a system of
thought, but not much
good for explaining anything."
© Haruki Murakami, The Wind-Up
Bird Chronicle.