Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectThe title reference (and other cultural references)?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=18471&mesg_id=18504
18504, The title reference (and other cultural references)?
Posted by guest, Tue Aug-07-01 06:57 AM
*Mild spoilers below-- reader beware*

I saw the movie this weekend, and I hadn't read a damn thing of the comics before that. It's a good movie, but I can't help feeling like I missed a lot with the many cultural references (most of them "underground").

For example, what to make of the opening sequence, which is old footage of a choreographed dance number from what looks like a 50s or 60s film? Does anyone know what the movie is, or do you have an interpretation of how that sequence works in juxtaposition with the opening shots of Enid?

Another reference that I didn't get much out of (I'm sad to say) is Seymour's music obsession. He has an enormous collection of blues, ragtime, and jazz records, but can anyone shed some light on the specific albums, musicians, or songs highlighted in the film (like the one that Enid buys from him and obsesses over)?

Enid is shown watching some movies on television about 3/4 through the film, and other characters watch things on TV throughout-- does anyone know the specific films they were watching and how they are relevant (or not) to the movie GHOST WORLD?? In a film that obviously foregrounds artistic and cultural influence (and rebellion, shame, marginalization, etc.), these things seem like they MUST be relevant.

Finally (for now), was the Coon's Kitchen/Cook's Kitchen thing a veiled reference to any specific historical restaurant or franchise, or just a general reference to the shameful (and now hidden) past of much of American society?

Any thoughts are much appreciated. By the way, REDeye, people (like me) on these boards certainly do appreciate your posts, even if we don't always agree with your opinions or add to the din by responding to your messages. Thank you for taking the time to share your views.

Chris