Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectMulholland Drive
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=17691&mesg_id=17691
17691, Mulholland Drive
Posted by guest, Fri Oct-12-01 09:39 PM
I just got back from the newest David Lynch fiasco to be put on film. A-Mazing. I really cannot explain much about it, not only because I do not want to ruin it, but because there really is not much to explain. I will do my best.

The plot revolves around several characters and their adventures in a nightmarish paralell of Hollywood. A woman gets amnesia after a car crash and meets up with a naive woman from Canada who wants to be an actress. There is also a story about a director who has his project taken over by the studio and they are forcing him to cast a certain woman as his lead actress. That is about all I can tell you all.

There is so much to this movie. David Lynch bites the Hollywood hand that feeds him like no one else I have ever seen. When I think of cynical Hollywood movies I think of The Player and State and Main. THis takes this reflexive nature to a brand new level. Lynch goes in deep to see what the power of that mysterious place is capable of. Lost Highway began this idea, but he mixes in the "under the surface" theme of Twin Peaks and especially Blue Velvet in with the surrealism and confused time of Lost Highway to create his greatest achievement since Blue Velvet in 1986. This movie is amazing. I highly recomend it. I will see how well it holds up against The Man WHo Wasn't There when I see it tomorrow night at the Denver Film Festival.

peace.

tact./

Current top movies of 2001:
1. Mulholland Drive.
2. Sexy Beast
3. Hedwig and the Angry Inch
4. Memento
5. Shrek
6. The Deep End
7. Apocalypse Now Redux
8. Ghost World

Soon to be classic