Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectRE: Monster's Ball
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=15988&mesg_id=16053
16053, RE: Monster's Ball
Posted by evesdroppin, Tue Mar-12-02 11:55 AM
I am so amazed at how divided people are about this movie. Personally, I and pretty much everyone else in the theatre with me felt like we had sat in front of some dude jacking off and got the evidence of such, on the backs of our necks.

Everyone's real quick to analyze the obvious but no one takes closer looks at Hank and his "black coffee" & "chocolate ice cream" and white plastic spoon fetish (can anyone say phallic reference?), which by the way he always throws up the next day, even after his so-called passionate exchange w/ Halle, which is suppose to be a turning point in his soul, apparently the turning point couldn't reach his stomach. How about Halle hawking her wedding ring to buy her new man a big ol' "white cowboy hat"? How about there being no story line that speaks of Leticia's history and community, as clearly as it spoke of Hank's? I mean hey, those are only a few.

Sure you can argue what the director was trying to do in what he provided on screen, but truly, how many of you, faced with a female relative or acquaintence in this scenario, would be so quick to applaud or romanticize these decisions?

peace

Life is a cycle and only you determine whether it be a circle or a spiral.