Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectRE: Monster's Ball
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=15988&mesg_id=16027
16027, RE: Monster's Ball
Posted by daps1, Sun Mar-03-02 12:40 PM

I saw this movie last night, and it was good, but it wasn't great.

I felt that the point of the movie was that these two tragic characters, wrapped in an ironic twist, were stuck with where they're lives were going. They both needed someone, no matter who it was.

Hank WAS a racist, but his life came to a point where his life was empty (no job, no son, no future prospects) and race wasn't a factor to him anymore. I'm still trying to figure out what those clips were during the sex scene. Were they hands in a birdcage trying to catch a bird? That went too quick for me.

I also think that this wasn't a 'white man comes to save the black woman' movie. Leticia could've said something when she saw the drawings at the end - but what then? Where would Leticia go? They are both desperate characters looking for company...again, in that tragic kind of way.

What was the explanation of the Monster's Ball anyway?

"I got into hip hop when I first ordered Wu-Tang Forever from my Dad's Columbia House music catalog" (c)JRennolds

"Now, you look at those pics of Jag in those strappy sandals and tell me you don't get the shimmer shine feelin, Jim." (c) HoChiGrimm