Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectI enjoyed it, kind of...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=15988&mesg_id=16015
16015, I enjoyed it, kind of...
Posted by Miles, Mon Feb-18-02 12:54 PM
This is a movie that relies greatly on direction, angles, and interpretation. The dialogue is somewhat sparse and slow, and may contribute to boredom.

As for the way Billy Bob deals with his racism, I thought it was well done. In most movies with this angle, the main character (always white) deals an unrealistic, emotional, soul-searching monologue topped with an epiphany to make everyone in the theater cry. Monster's Ball avoided this, and I applaud the director greatly for that.

Billy Bob does not send his father away because he is being cock-blocked. Billy Bob is ignorant, and knows little about people before Halle comes around the way. He knows no love (never mentions wife, doesn't love son/dad, dad didn't love son/grandson or wife). He meets Halle only when he tries to save her son (though he had incidentally seen her before). On this dark, rainy night, he could not have known Halle was a bombshell (and black, for that matter). His actions in that scene were raw, real, and confused. So no, I don't think he saw Halle as a sex symbol. I mean, he was trying to leave her house when Halle practically jumped him.

As for Halle's need to feel love after her son and husband die, I think it is realistic. This is totally my speculation, but in many of my psychology classes we have discussed the need for love and passion after losing a loved one. This does not make her a nymphomaniac.

Just my thoughts...
********************************************************************************
"Look at you, y'so purty." FANatic of Shania Twain, on MTV

"Go mush yaself." Rachel S.