Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectokay...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=15988&mesg_id=15994
15994, okay...
Posted by AFKAP_of_Darkness, Tue Feb-12-02 02:58 AM
the film was terribly paced, ineptly directed, and full of heavy-handed imagery. it seemed to be wanting to say something about race in America, though it didn't know what.

Halle Berry's performance was good, but unfortunately, she was still wrong for the role. i'm sorry, but she is just too beautiful. they trying to skank her up a bit, but she still looks like a model. in scenes where i'm supposed to be sucked in to what is going on in the lives of these small-town normal folks, i was totally distracted by what a bombshell figure she had in that tight skirt and little blouse with her nipples poking through (and i'm usually NOT attracted to Halle, mind)and wondering why this woman is having so many problems when she could easily go to New York and be a top model!

if a "regular"-looking sister had played Halle's part, maybe the sex scene would not have seemed as exploitative as it did. it just felt like the classic Hollywood white man fantasy of banging the shit out of some beautiful, confused, tragic mulattress... it was totally improbable, especially the manner in which Halle came on to Billy Bob. and the scene seemed so self-conscious and uncomfortable, i had to turn away from it.

the ending... it has one of those conclusions where the film maker doesn't have the balls or the vision to actually say anything so he tries to make you think that he's being sort of ambiguous and working your imagination by leaving it open-ended. i was insulted.

forgive me for just dropping these random, semi-thoughts... i haven't been able to collect all my feelings about the movie into an articulate mass yet, but i tell you... i almost walked out. and i NEVER walk out of a movie.